Natural Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Superior
Barstow Hall 202
Belknap and Catlin
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880
Natural Sciences Department
News and Events Details
Barstow is scheduled to close Dec. 23 and reopen in mid-August 2011. Equipment will be moved back into the building in late August and the building is expected to reopen for the start of the fall semester.
Science classes and labs normally held in Barstow will be moved to McCaskill Hall during the 2011 spring and summer semesters. Faculty offices for the Department of Natural Sciences along with labs and offices for the Lake Superior Research Institute also are being moved into McCaskill during the project.
Classrooms to be converted
Contractors will remodel 7,700 square feet of space in Barstow. Existing classrooms will be converted to labs and faculty offices, and some existing single-purpose labs will be reconfigured to serve as multi-functional labs. The building's exterior appearance won't change.
Science faculty members are looking forward to the new lab spaces in Barstow, said Dr. Ralph Seelke, chair of the Department of Natural Sciences.
"We'll be getting a new lab for ecology and one for microbiology and physiology, and those will serve as labs and be set up so smaller classes also can be taught there," he said. "We'll have all our faculty in the same building so it will be easier to talk and easier to exchange ideas."
Needed for labs and offices
The remodeling project is needed to accommodate labs and offices for the Department of Natural Sciences and the Lake Superior Research Institute that will be moved to Barstow Hall from McCaskill Hall.
With McCaskill vacated, work can begin in fall 2011 to demolish and recycle that building as well as Sundquist Hall. Both structures have been declared obsolete by the state, which no longer supports spending money to maintain them. Neither will be needed once UW-Superior's Swenson Hall academic building opens in August 2011.
McCaskill Hall was built in 1957 as an elementary school and Sundquist Hall was built in 1956 as a residence hall. The university converted both structures to other uses decades ago - McCaskill as a classroom and lab building and Sundquist as an office building.
Architect for the Barstow Hall remodeling project is Potter Lawson of Madison. General construction contractor is Max Gray of Hibbing, Minn.; electrical contractor is Benson Electric of Superior; mechanical contractor is Stack Brothers Mechanical of Superior; and plumbing contractor is J.F. Ahern Co. of Fond du Lac, Wis.
|Professor presents Great Lakes pollution research at national conference|
|Grant to help UW-Superior graduate more minority students in science|
|Faculty and student researchers' biofuels article accepted for publication|
|Great Lakes sampling trip yields plastics from Lake Erie|
|Dr. Peter Cook pursues research on a cheaper solar cell|
|Dr. Lorena Rios to examine plastic pollution in the Great Lakes|
|Journals publish water research articles by Dr. William Bajjali|
|Regent's campus visit includes LSRI labs|
|Professors featured in research newsletter|
|Leading journal to publish chemistry professors' work on bio-fuels|
Copyright © The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
University of Wisconsin-Superior is an equal opportunity educator and employer