University of Wisconsin-Superior
Swenson Hall 1061
Belknap and Catlin
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880
Mon, Fri 7:45am - 4:30pm
Tue, Wed, Thur 7:45am - 6pm
Daily drop-in hours:
Mon, Fri 11am - 4:30pm
Tue, Wed, Thur 7:45am - 6pm
Name: Darren Gordon
Major, minor, and graduation year:Transportation Logistics Management, 2008
Job Title: Driver Manager
Organization/ Place of work: Halvor Lines Inc.
-My main duty is to take care of the truck drivers.I have to watch their hours of service and make sure they are running legally. I also have to make sure they are running on time to their deliveries.The biggest duty I have is probably making sure these drivers go to where we want them to go, path and destination wise.
- My highlight is that every work day is different. You are dealing with different kinds of issues each and every day.
- Communicating with truck drivers can be very difficult, especially in the position that I am in.I have never driven a truck before, and yet I am telling these drivers what to do.It can be very challenging for all of us to see each other's sides.
-I spend all of my work day in my office.
- After hearing about the degree Transportation Logistics Management, I became interested in it and heard that the job placement had a positive outlook too. I changed my major and got started.It wasn't difficult.
-I needed to have an open mind and a good personality to deal with all kinds of people. Having a bachelor's degree helped, but having some experience in the trucking industry is needed as well which can be accomplished through an internship or a previous job.
-My ability to treat others how I want to be treated.I find it is very easy to get along with drivers if I just treat them as equals and not as their management boss.
-Being in the Transportation and Logistics club at school really helped me prepare for the kind of jobs that were available in the working world.I really enjoyed the presentations and field trips we got to take while being part of this club at UWS.
- Some level of degree in a Transportation related field.
- In 2-5 years I hope to be working towards a higher position here at Halvor.I'd like to get into the sales side of this company if possible.In 5-10 years I hope and plan to be in some kind of sales position.
- "Get your foot in the door when you can, and then make a good impression when you start work.Work hard and have a good attitude and good things will come about."
-Make sure you are a patient person and that you have the open minded attitude to deal with truck drivers.It is a very difficult task at times.
-All of the transportation classes offered at UWS are great.I would have added some classes that focus on the trucking industry though because when I was as UWS I didn't focus my learning on the trucking industry.
-I believe a bachelor's degree is enough if you have the right attitude/personality and related experience.You have to be able to stand out and impress people with your educational/experience background, and ability to talk and influence others.
Copyright © The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
University of Wisconsin-Superior is an equal opportunity educator and employer