Individually Designed Major Description
Students who have a unique need for a major, and whose needs cannot be met by an existing on-campus program, have the option of developing an Individually Designed Major. This is done with timely advice and guidance from the student's advisor and in close consultation with a specially appointed advisory panel consisting of at least the student's advisor and two faculty members representing disciplines other than that of the advisor. The petition may not be submitted before the second semester of the student's sophomore year but must be submitted before the end of the student's junior year.
Individually Designed (non-comprehensive) Major Requirements
33 total major credits
This major may be declared by on-campus or Distance Learning students. Major Requirements:
- Student must declare a minor or second major in a different subject area. The same courses cannot be used to meet the Individually Designed major requirements as well as minor or second major requirements.
- A minimum of 18 credits shall be remaining (to be completed) at the time the petition form is submitted for approval
- A minimum of 18 credits must be in courses numbered 300 or higher
- Plan of courses included on the IDM petition form must include a Capstone course
- Student must have earned at least 43 credits prior to submitting the IDM petition form
- Student shall not have earned more than 83 credits prior to submitting the IDM petition form
- A minimum of 6 credits of Prior Learning can be applied to this major
- Must submit (and have approved by the Credits and Student Reinstatement Committee) an Individually Designed major petition form.
- The petition form must be developed in consultation with the student's advisor and at least one faculty member representing disciplines other than that of the advisor.
Additional Degree Requirements:
- A minimum of 36 credits numbered 300 or higher
- A minimum of 30 credits earned at UW-Superior
- A resident GPA of at least 2.0 (UW-Superior courses only)
- A major GPA of at least 2.0 (all courses used to meet major requirements--including transfer courses)
- The last 12 credits for the major must be earned at UW-Superior
Individually Designed Minor Requirements
21 total credits Requirements:
- Students in good standing and have earned at least 43 credits to declare this minor
- Students must complete an Interdisciplinary Studies minor petition and have it approved by the Credits and Reinstatement Committee
- At least 12 of these credits shall not yet have been completed.
- At least two courses must be resident credit courses (taken at UW-Superior).
- At least 7 credits must be 300 level or higher.
Individually Designed Minor proposals require the approval of the student's advisor and the appropriate department chair, then submitted to the Credits and Reinstatement Committee for final approval.