University Relations Office
University of Wisconsin-Superior
Belknap and Catlin
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880
News and Events Details
Four University of Wisconsin-Superior students who report news for KUWS-FM 91.3 have earned a combined twelve radio awards and were recognized for their work by three broadcasting organizations.
The KUWS-FM 91.3 reporters received more awards than any other university or college in the competitions. The contests were judged by professional journalists and journalism scholars from across the country. The students were honored by the Milwaukee Press Club, Midwest Broadcast Journalists Association Eric Sevareid Awards and Wisconsin Broadcasters Association. Awards and the students that received them include:
MILWAUKEE PRESS CLUB AWARDS
· First place - Best Feature Story, Tall Ships Chants. Brad Phenow
· Third place - Best Sports Story, Bud Grant Honored by Hometown Superior. Joe Gigliotti
MIDWEST BROADCAST JOURNALISTS ASSOCIATION ERIC SEVAREID AWARDS
· First place - Broadcast Writing, Blue Heron Soars in Lake Superior Research Alyssa Palmer
· First place - Investigative, UW-Superior Shooter Drill. Jessica Hamilton, Joe Gigliotti
· First place - Soft Feature, Tall Ships Chants. Brad Phenow
· Award of merit - Audio, Tall Ships Chants. Brad Phenow
· Award of merit - Broadcast Writing, Accordion Legend Leaves Legacy.Alyssa Palmer
· Award of merit - General Reporting, LCO Camp Eviction Effort. Jessica Hamilton
· Award of merit - Sports Reporting, Bud Grant Honored by Hometown Superior. Joe Gigliotti
· Award of merit - Spot News, Superior Days Mining Revolt.Jessica Hamilton
· Award of merit - Spot News, Local Runners React to Boston Bombing.Alyssa Palmer
WISCONSIN BROADCASTERS ASSOCIATION
· First Place-News Series Fighting Synthetic Drugs. Brad Phenow
KUWS-FM 91.3 is a Wisconsin Public Radio affiliate located at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. Many UW-Superior students work at the station as a co-curricular activity of the university's Communicating Arts Department.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior is a public liberal arts institution of 2,650 students in the Duluth-Superior, MN-WI metro area.
Founded in 1893 as a teacher's college, UW-Superior now offers more than 30 majors, select graduate programs, and competitive Division III athletics programs, as well as research and scholarship that support the community and region.
Copyright © The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
University of Wisconsin-Superior is an equal opportunity educator and employer