The University of Wisconsin-Superior has served as a cornerstone in the City of Superior since 1893. While our status in the community remains the same, there has been plenty of big changes since then – from our liberal arts initiatives to our new, beautiful buildings on campus. The one thing that hasn’t changed is our welcoming atmosphere. We’re proud to foster intellectual growth and career preparation within a liberal arts tradition that emphasizes individual attention and embodies respect for diverse cultures and multiple voices through our values.
The University of Wisconsin-Superior fosters intellectual growth and career preparation within a liberal arts tradition that emphasizes individual attention, embodies respect for diverse cultures and multiple voices, and engages the community and region." (Approved by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents, Feb. 6, 2015)
To accomplish these ends, the University will:
- Provide students with a carefully articulated and comprehensive foundation in liberal studies as a base for all degree programs.
- Award associate and baccalaureate degrees in selected fields in education, arts, humanities, sciences, social sciences, business, and pre-professional programs.
- Offer graduate programs in areas associated with its undergraduate emphases and strengths.
- Extend its undergraduate and graduate resources beyond the boundaries of the campus through alternative delivery of programs.
- Expect scholarly activity, including research, scholarship and creative endeavor, that supports its programs at the associate and baccalaureate degree levels, its selected graduate programs, and its special mission.
- Maintain an inclusive campus community that challenges students to develop their intellectual, personal, cultural, and social competencies.
- Engage in appropriate inter-institutional relationships and community partnerships to enhance educational and service opportunities.
- Foster, with University of Wisconsin-Extension, the development of cooperative and general outreach programming and the integration of the Extension function with that of this institution.
Looking Toward the Future
When you explore our campus, you’ll find quite a mix.
That doesn’t just go for our students and their numerous backgrounds, nationalities and heritage, it’s in our buildings, too. From the oldest building on campus - Old Main - and its deep history and classic architecture style to the newest places on campus - Swenson Hall and the Yellowjacket Union (YU) - that are the hub of campus activity. The YU is a vibrant, energetic place where friends meet at UW-Superior to learn, eat, relax and play. These two staples of student life were renovated to increase campus sustainability and student success.
We love our history, but we’ve got an eye toward the future.
Established in a culture of growth, energy, research and respect, a collaborative academic environment awaits you at UW-Superior.
Through active learning, critical thinking and reflective judgment, First Year Seminars will introduce you to UW-Superior and college life. Throughout your academic program, grow your communication skills in the Writing Across the Curriculum program and culture Global Awareness through foreign language and culture studies and Study Away programs.