Art (Visual) | UW-Superior

Fact Details

Visual Arts Department

Fact Details

Art (Visual)

UW-Superior Visual Arts Department offers many options that enable you to develop your talents and pursue a meaningful career. Students can major in Visual Arts and then specialize their studies by selecting a concentration in Art Education, Art History, Art Therapy or Studio Art.

  • Art Education Concentration -- Courses in art and education lead to certification to teach at levels from birth to age 21.
  • Art History Concentration -- A blend of art studio and art history courses leading to a comprehensive knowledge of art.
  • Art Therapy Concentration -- Combine art training with courses in psychology to prepare for work as an art therapist in hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers and schools. UW-Superior also offers a graduate program in art therapy that enables students to further their careers and pursue professional certification.
  • Studio Art Concentration -- Develop a knowledge of art and focus on art training in a specific medium including ceramics, expressive ecopsychology, fibers, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture.

In addition, UW-Superior offers a challenging Bachelor of Fine Arts degree that includes an art major with a concentration in studio art. This enables students to focus more intensely on ceramics, fibers, painting, photography, sculpture or printmaking. You also can use this major to pursue certification to teach art.

Once you earn your bachelor's degree, you can return to UW-Superior for its highly regarded Master of Arts Degree program in art. This program provides further professional training in art therapy, art education, art history and studio art.

UW-Superior's art program has a long, proud history, with many alumni who work as professional artists, teachers, professors, therapists and gallery owners.

Degrees and Majors

Visual Arts major:

Art Education concentration
Art History concentration
Art Therapy concentration
Studio Art concentration

Visual Arts major (leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree):

  • Studio Arts concentration (Studio areas: ceramics, fibers, painting, photography, sculpture, printmaking, and expressive ecopsychology)
  • Teacher Certification

Visual Arts minors:


Let's talk Visual Arts

  • Small classes allow personal attention from professors, who are all artists themselves.
  • Opportunities to gain experience through off-campus internships.
  • UW-Superior offers one of the few undergraduate and graduate art therapy programs in the Midwest.
  • Holden Fine and Applied Arts Center is home to the Visual Arts Department. It has studios for painting, sculpture, ceramics, photography, printmaking, drawing, woodworking, metal work, and weaving.
  • Kruk Gallery hosts guest exhibitions.
  • Third Floor Gallery features local artists and the work of university students.

What can you do with a degree in Visual Arts from UW-Superior?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, more than half of all professional artists are self-employed. Of those who are not self-employed, many work in advertising and related services; newspaper, periodical, book, and software publishers; motion picture and video industries; specialized design services; and computer systems design and related services. Some self-employed artists offer their services to advertising agencies, design firms, publishing houses, and other businesses on a contract or freelance basis. Employment of artists and related workers is expected to grow about as fast as the average over the next decade. Because the arts attract many talented people with creative ability, the number of aspiring artists continues to grow.

Examples of careers in arts include:

  • Teacher
  • Art therapist
  • Photographer
  • Gallery owner or manager
  • Illustrator
  • Painting restorer
  • Printmaker
  • Sculptor
  • Painter
  • Medical/scientific illustrator
  • Fashion artist
  • Cartoonist
  • Animator

We invite you to visit

Visit CampusApply Online
A campus visit offers an opportunity to tour our campus and meet with an Admissions counselor. We can arrange for you to meet a professor and visit a class in any area you choose.

To arrange a visit


Back to Top