International Transfer Students Application Checklist

The application checklist below is for students who:

  1. Are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents,
  2. Plan to study at UW-Superior on a nonimmigrant visa, for example, F-1 or J-1,
  3. Have completed high school (secondary school), and
  4. Have attended a college or university for the equivalent of one or more full-time semesters (equivalent to 12 or more transferrable U.S. semester credits).


Submit an online application.  No application fee is required.

Academic Transcripts and Documentation

High School (Secondary School) Transcripts

Submit original or attested copies of all transcripts, diplomas, mark sheets, and certificates from all high schools (secondary schools) and official English translations if original or attested documents are not in English. See Submitting Scanned Files of Academic Transcripts and Documentation with further questions. 

College/University Transcripts

Submit original or attested copies of all transcripts and diplomas from all colleges and universities attended and official English translations if original or attested documents are not in English.

A 2.0 GPA is required to be considered for admission. The School of Business and Economics and Department of Education have additional requirements for admission into the upper division courses.

Transfer students are also encouraged to submit:

  • List of college or university courses currently in progress
  • Descriptions and syllabi for any university course work
  • Summary of activities since high school or secondary school graduation if more than one semester has elapsed since graduation

In some cases, transfer students' previous college or university coursework may require additional evaluation. Such students may be required to submit their transcripts to an external agency for credit evaluation. A list of acceptable agencies is available at NACES's website, Students can contact to clarify whether they are subject to this requirement. See Submitting Scanned Files of Academic Transcripts and Documentation with further questions. 

APPLICANTS FROM CHINESE UNIVERSITIES: Please contact the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC) and request that a verification report of your university transcript(s) be sent to UW-Superior. The report must be mailed directly to UW-Superior from the CDGDC and must be received before the beginning of the first semester of study.

China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center
18th Floor, Tongfang Keji Building B
No.1, Wangzhuang Road
Haidian District, Beijing 100083
Tel: 86-10-82379480
Fax: 86-10-82379491

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English in one of the following ways. Depending on their test scores, students may be required to take a combination of English as a Second Language (ESL) and non-ESL courses during their first semester. See ESL at UW-Superior for additional information.

TOEFL Internet-Based Test 61

Additional Ways to Meet English Proficiency Requirement

Exam Name Minimum Score
TOEFL MyBest 61 (Minimum Test Date Score: 56)
ACT English 18
Pearson Test of English Academic 47
Duolingo English Test (DET) 100
TOEFL Paper-based Test 500
STEP Eiken (Japan only) Pre-1st Grade
iTEP Academic 4.0
Cambridge English: First (FCE) Pass
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Pass
Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) Pass
GTEC 1200

UW-Superior's Partner Language Program

English as a Second Language International (ESLI) - Successful completion of Advanced Level at an ESLI center with recommendation of the ESLI director. Learn more about ESLI.

Other Language Programs

  • Global Language Institute (GLI) - Score 500 on the GLI TOEFL and 3 on the Test of Written English (TWE)
  • Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute (WESLI) - Earn the WESLI Recommendation, score at least 76 on the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency and earn a rating of good or excellent on the 700-level academic reading and writing courses
  • ELS Language Centers - Successful completion of Level 110 at an ELS language center.
  • FLS International - Successful completion of FLS International Level 16
  • Advanced Level Kaplan International Colleges - Successful completion of the Advanced Level, Certificate of Achievement.

Alternative Qualifications

A grade of C or higher for an English composition course passed at an accredited US college or university. The course must count as transfer credit at UW-Superior.

International Baccalaureate (IB) English A1 or A2 Higher Level passed with minimum grade 4.

A grade of C or higher on two GCE Advanced Level subjects or a grade of C or higher on GCSE English Language.

Graduation from a high school or post-secondary institution in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States for students who have studied in an all-English curriculum for at least four years. It may also be waived for students who have studied for at least four years in an all-English curriculum in any other country, but the university reserves the right to request English proficiency test results from any applicant.

For questions about the English language proficiency requirement or to apply for an exemption to the English proficiency requirement, please contact International Admissions.

Nonresident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Program

More than 90% of our international students receive financial assistance/scholarships worth $5,300-$7,200 per year through the Nonresident Tuition Waiver (NTW) program. Students who submit all required application items are automatically considered for an NTW. No application is required. For additional information, see International Student Scholarships and Grants.

Financial Documentation


  1. Financial Verification Form
  2. Original bank letter(s) or statement(s) from the student and/or sponsor(s) indicating a current balance with sufficient funds to pay the first year of total expected costs. The name(s) on the bank document(s) must match the name(s) on the Financial Verification Form.

Additional Guidance Regarding Financial Documentation

Sponsors who live in the United States (only) must also submit a completed, signed Affidavit of Support, (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-134).

Financial documentation is required for UW-Superior to issue a Form I-20, the document needed to apply for an F-1 student visa. Per U.S. regulations, students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funding to pay for all educational and living expenses while in the U.S.

Financial documents must be in English and issued within the previous three months. Examples of bank documents which are acceptable: original bank statements issued directly from the bank; loan or award letters stamped or certified by a lending institution; original bank letters signed by a bank official with the official's name and contact information indicated.

Examples of bank documents which cannot be accepted: bank letters without the name of the account holder; bank letters/statements that are not legible or do not indicate the name of the bank or account holder; bank letters/statments which do not specify an amount of liquid assets at least equal to the first year of total expected expenses; bank letters/statements from businesses.

Passport Copy

Submit a paper or scanned copy of the passport identification page. Scanned copies should be submitted to


In order for applications to be processed and to allow sufficient time for the visa interview process and travel to the United States, the required documents must be on file with the International Admissions office by the following dates:

Fall Semester (September - December): July 1

Spring Semester (January - May): November 15

International students who are currently in F-1 status and in the U.S. at the time of application will be considered after the application deadline on a case-by-case basis.

Application materials should be sent to:

International Admissions
UW-Superior; Old Main 133
801 N. 28th St.
Superior, WI 54880-4500

Estimated Processing Time

Once all of the necessary documents have been received, please allow one to three weeks for a decision.

Note Regarding Documentation

Please note you should request additional original documentation for your own records and to present to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Original documentation will be required when applying for a student visa, and when entering the United States.


If you need assistance, please e-mail International Admissions at