International Short-Term Non-Degree Student Application Checklist

The application information below is for students who:

  1. Are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents, 
  2. Plan to study at UW-Superior on a nonimmigrant visa, for example, F-1 or J-1, and
  3. Plan to study at UW-Superior as full-time undergraduate students for one or two semesters only, and do not intend to earn their degree at UW-Superior.


Submit an on-line application. No application fee is required.

Academic Transcripts and Documentation

Non-degree international applicants must submit official original transcripts or certified true copies of academic records from all high schools (secondary schools) attended and any college(s) or university attended. Transcripts should show grades for all high school (secondary school) level coursework. Transcripts should demonstrate success in university preparatory coursework in English, mathematics, natural science, social studies and appropriate electives such as communicating arts, computer science, fine arts or foreign language.

Non-degree students will not receive transfer credits for previous college or university coursework. Non-degree students can apply to change their status from non-degree seeking to degree seeking. See Submitting Scanned Files of Academic Transcripts and Documentation with further questions. 

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English in one of the following ways. Depending on their test scores, students may be required to take a combination of English as a Second Language (ESL) and non-ESL courses during their first semester. See ESL at UW-Superior for additional information.

TOEFL Internet-Based Test 61
Duolingo English Test (DET) 100

Additional Ways to Meet English Proficiency Requirement

Exam Name Minimum Score
TOEFL MyBest 61 (Minimum Test Date Score: 56)
ACT English 18
Pearson Test of English Academic 47
MET 69
TOEFL Paper-based Test 500
STEP Eiken (Japan only) Pre-1st Grade
iTEP Academic 4.0
Cambridge English: B2 First (FCE) 169
Cambridge English: C1 Advanced (CAE) Pass
Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency (CPE) Pass
GTEC (Japan Only) 1200

UW-Superior's Partner Language Program

English Language Culture Institute (ELCI) - Successful completion of Advanced Level at ELCI, located on the campus of the University of Minnesota-Duluth (approximately 20 minutes from UW-Superior).

Nonresident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Program

More than 90% of our international students receive financial assistance/scholarships worth $5,300-$7,200 per year. Students must generally attend at least two semesters to be eligible. Students who submit all required application items are automatically considered for an NTW. No application is required. For additional information, see International Student Scholarships and Grants.

Financial Documentation


  1. Financial Verification Form
  2. Original bank letter(s) or statement(s) from the student and/or sponsor(s) indicating a current balance with sufficient funds to pay the first year of total expected costs. The name(s) on the bank document(s) must match the name(s) on the Financial Verification Form.

Additional Guidance Regarding Financial Documentation

Sponsors who live in the United States (only) must also submit a completed, signed Affidavit of Support, (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-134).

Financial documentation is required for UW-Superior to issue a Form I-20, the document needed to apply for an F-1 student visa. Per U.S. regulations, students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funding to pay for all educational and living expenses while in the U.S.

Financial documents must be in English and issued within the previous three months. Examples of bank documents which are acceptable:

  • original bank statements issued directly from the bank;
  • loan or award letters stamped or certified by a lending institution;
  • original bank letters signed by a bank official with the official's name and contact information indicated.

Examples of bank documents which cannot be accepted:

  • bank letters without the name of the account holder;
  • bank letters/statements that are not legible or do not indicate the name of the bank or account holder;
  • bank letters/statements which do not specify an amount of liquid assets at least equal to the first year of total expected expenses;
  • bank letters/statements from businesses.

Passport Copy

Submit a paper or scanned copy of the passport identification page. Scanned copies should be submitted to


In order for applications to be processed and to allow sufficient time for the visa interview process and travel to the United States, the required documents must be on file with the International Admissions office by the following dates:

  • Fall Semester (September - December): July 1
  • Spring Semester (January - May): November 15

International students who are currently in F-1 status and in the U.S. at the time of application will be considered after the application deadline on a case-by-case basis.

Application materials should be sent to:

International Admissions
UW-Superior; Old Main 133
801 N. 28th St.
Superior, WI 54880-4500

Estimated Processing Time

Once all of the necessary documents have been received, please allow one to three weeks for a decision.

Note Regarding Documentation

Please note you should request additional original documentation for your own records and to present to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Original documentation will be required when applying for a student visa and when entering the United States.


If you need assistance, please e-mail International Admissions at or call 715-394-8052 .