Undergraduate Cost, Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Employment

Yes, in recent years, more than 90% of international students received $5,300 to $7,200 in financial assistance and/or scholarships through the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Program. Please see Scholarships/Grants for more information.

Awards through the Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Program are renewable if the student maintains good academic progress. Freshmen are eligible for ten semesters of NTW awards. Transfer student NTW award limits are based on the number of credits transferred toward the UW-Superior degree.

Yes, UW-Superior is pleased to offer financial aid to international students, but the University does not offer scholarships that cover all expenses. Students must prove one year of financial support and project financial support for the rest of their education. U.S. law requires that the University has this proof of financial support before issuing the Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, with students need to apply for a US student visa. Students must also prove financial support to the U.S. Consulate when applying for the student visa.

The UW-Superior UW-Superior Foundation sponsors scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students. International students who have already begun their studies at UW-Superior are eligible to apply for over 100 Foundation scholarships, which are awarded by individual academic departments.

International students are also eligible for Beecroft Grants, which are loans of up to $500 per year that students repay by working an adequate number of hours in an assigned job on campus. A limited number of Beecroft Grants are awarded each semester, and athletes and social work majors are not eligible.

Yes, the majority of our international students hold jobs on campus. However, US immigration laws restrict employment opportunities for international students. Students who hold an F-1 visa are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during breaks and holidays.

UW-Superior is not able to guarantee employment for all students. The Office of International Programs provides information about finding jobs, but students are responsible for finding their own jobs.

By law, international students in F-1 status can only work on campus except under restricted conditions set out by U.S. immigration laws. Many students work for food service, in the library or for the athletic department, student support services, admissions office or various academic departments.

No, it is not legally possible for F-1 international students to work enough while in the US to pay for their education. When considering on-campus employment, keep in mind that a significant amount of time and energy is necessary for students to meet the demands of UW-Superior academic programs and, for many, to adjust to life in the United States.

Students can be sponsored by anyone, as long as the sponsor(s) 1) submit a personal bank statement/letter, 2) complete, sign and submit the Financial Verification Form and 3) a letter of sponsorship (or affidavit of support for US-based sponsors.) Students may not be sponsored by a business or company with few exceptions.