DEPARTMENT: Natural Sciences Department
Biologists wrestle with some of the major questions of our day, from the nature of life itself to the ways environmental change affects all living things. Our biology program gives you the tools to find answers.
Earning a biology degree at UW-Superior means you'll do more than stare at textbooks and take tests. You'll get dirty and wet. Wade in streams. Gather samples. Study organisms up close in modern science labs.
You'll get immersed in life itself. Whether your future includes a career in health care, natural resources or graduate school, our biology program is an ideal fit.
The biology major also allows you to choose one of the following four focus areas:
- Cell/Molecular Biology
- Ecology, Aquatic Biology, and Fisheries Science
- Plant Sciences
*Students may also major or minor in biology education for secondary teacher certification through the teacher education program.
Through a major or minor in biology at UW-Superior, you will:
- Gain a comprehensive background in biology, prepared to enter medical school or health care professional programs.
- Understand and be able to conduct research, using the latest techniques.
- Thoroughly understand concepts such as genetics, microbiology, parasitology, and animal behavior.
Biologists work in wide range of jobs ranging from local government to research and pharmaceutical laboratories.
Discover a future career as a:
- aquatic/fisheries biologist
- biology teacher
- conservation warden
- dental hygienist
- environmental health specialist
- food inspector
- molecular biologist
- museum/aquarium professional
- natural resource and conservation manager
Did You Know?
- You work closely with faculty to plan your academic program, pursue field and lab work, and conduct undergraduate research.
- Students wishing to be biology teachers also benefit from UW-Superior highly-regarded teacher education program.
- You will benefit from environmental resources of the Lake Superior region and the program's close working relationships with regional research laboratories.
- As a biology major, you will be eligible for a Swenson Scholarship, which covers full tuition and books for up to four years.
- Alumni report that they arrive at their first job or graduate school better prepared than their peers from other institutions.
* Are programs where you can also earn certification to teach at the K-12, elementary or middle/high school levels.
DESIGN YOUR MAJOR
Our self-designed major and minors enable you to work with an academic advisor to create your own specialized program of study.