Information Technology and Systems
DEPARTMENT: Mathematics and Computer Science Department
Go behind the scenes and discover the systems that organizations use to provide computing and network services. Examine the technology and applications that drive modern IT operations.
As you discover the ways data moves between computers and other technology, you will consider a broad range of applications for both personal and business use.
When you learn the concepts and theories of informational technology, you will examine, analyze, and apply them.
Through a minor in information technology at UW-Superior, you will:
- Learn the science of database management
- Understand how network and communication technology is used to connect people with information and with one another
- Understand the impact computers and internet technology have had on people and society
- Learn basic programming methods and techniques using the latest development tools
- Gain skills to solve real-world computational problems
Careers in computer science and information technology ranked as three of the top 10 careers for college graduates according to UC San Diego Extension in 2013.
Apply your minor as a:
- Systems analyst
- Network security specialist
- Programmer analyst
- Network systems and data communications analyst
- Database administrator
- Programming tool designer
Did You Know?
- Professors pursue advanced study in computer security and publish academic papers in the field so they can bring the latest knowledge to their classes
- Technology Services on-campus employs numerous students
- The Superior-Duluth area offers numerous opportunities for jobs and internships
- Computer science majors have access to an advanced computer lab
* Are programs where you can also earn certification to teach at the K-12, elementary or middle/high school levels.