DEPARTMENT: Social Inquiry Department
4-YEAR PATHWAY: Graduate in 4 Years
Active citizenship is the foundation of the Political Science program at UW-Superior. We offer courses that are designed to create students who can study the roots of problems, formulate creative solutions to existing local, state, national and international problems, and develop strategies that ultimately address and solve them.
We offer students three emphasis areas in the Political Science Liberal Arts Major:
- American Politics
- International Peace Studies
- Political Theory
All students will begin with Introduction to Political Science (POLS 100), where they are introduced to the field of Political Science as well as an overview of the curriculum and expectations of the program, and they finish with Senior Seminar (POLS 499), where they culminate their experience here at UWS by carrying out substantive research and presenting their findings.
*Secondary education students may major or minor in political science education through the Teacher Education program.
Through a major or minor in political science at UW-Superior, you will be able to:
- Analyze, interpret and understand texts
- Effectively identify, evaluate and formulate arguments
- Develop, organize and express ideas in a clear and effective manner
- Recognize and appreciate multiple perspectives
- Independently research a topic to produce a fully-documented research paper
- Formulate and develop solutions through political action
People with a political science background and skill set are needed in a broad of fields, preparing you for a variety of careers, including:
- AmeriCorps member
- Peace Corps member
- Conservation field organizer
- Cultural ambassador
- Admissions counselor
- Policy analyze
- Legal support specialist
Did You Know?
- The political science program offers many hands-on experiences through internships, Study Abroad opportunities, and Academic Service-Learning.
- You can join UW-Superior's vibrant political science community through student activities such as the Model United Nations, the International Peace Studies Association, and the Political Science Association.
* Are programs where you can also earn certification to teach at the K-12, elementary or middle/high school levels.