Pre-Medicine/Pre-Health Professional Programs
DEPARTMENT: Natural Sciences Department
The University of Wisconsin-Superior offers several pre-professional programs to prepare students for tomorrow’s health careers. UW-Superior offers the following pre-health subfields:
- Pre-Athletic Training
- Pre-Nursing (Public Health)
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
It’s important to note that “pre-med” or any of these subfields are not majors. These subfields are a set of course requirements taken in conjunction with your major to prepare you for your professional school entrance exams and graduate program.
Students can declare any major, however the most common majors pre-health students pursue are:
- Biology (with 10 unique Pre-Medicine and Health Professional fields available)
- Chemistry: Pre-Medicine/Pre-Pharmacy (Biochemistry) Concentration
- Community Health Promotion
- Exercise Science
Why Pursue Pre-Health at UW-Superior?
- Small class sizes
- Faculty provide one-on-one mentoring, advising and guidance to prepare students for their graduate/professional program.
- UW-Superior is located in the Twin Ports region of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN—home to two large health care systems with three hospitals plus dozens of primary care and specialty clinics.
- The Twin Ports is also home to graduate/professional schools for Athletic Training, Medicine, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant and Occupational Therapy.
- Ample opportunities for job shadowing, volunteering, internships and hands-on lab experience.
- Two very active student clubs:
- Pre-Health Club organizes panel discussions with medical professionals that talk about the everyday practice of medicine.
- Health and Human Performance Club sponsors students to attend professional seminars for outreach and to secure internships.
- Student clubs regularly invite graduate/professional school representatives to campus to speak about their admissions processes and answer questions.
- Scholarships are available to current pre-health students
Where Do Pre-Health Students Go?
Where UW-Superior Pre-Health Graduates Continue their Education
- A.T. Still University - Arizona School Of Health Sciences
- A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- College of Osteopathic Medicine - Touro University, California
- Concordia University Wisconsin School of Health Professions
- Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine (Chicago)
- George Washington University
- Marshfield Clinic School of Radiography
- Marquette University School of Dentistry
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine & Science
- Northwestern Health Sciences University
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Edinburgh Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
- South University School of Pharmacy (Savannah, GA)
- The College of St. Scholastica
- University of British Columbia
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- University of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota-Duluth
- University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse
- University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine
* Are programs where you can also earn certification to teach at the K-12, elementary or middle/high school levels.