Swenson Scholarship Information
What is it?
The Swenson Family Trust Scholarship is a full-tuition scholarship that includes a $1,000 annual stipend for books and other fees. Each year, it is awarded to eight qualified new freshmen students with financial need who are pursuing careers in biology or chemistry. The scholarship is automatically renewed for three additional years as long as the student continues to major in biology or chemistry and maintain full-time status with a GPA of at least 3.0.
Jim and Sue Swenson, alumni of UW-Superior, established the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship program in 1994. Their vision was to provide full-tuition scholarships to academically talented freshmen students enrolled at UW-Superior and majoring in biology or chemistry. Since Jim and Sue received help through the generosity of others in funding their college educations, they feel strongly about "giving back" to students who qualify for financial assistance.
The Swenson Family Trust Scholarship is available to students who are U.S. citizens and majoring in biology or chemistry. Students who receive this scholarship award will maintain the scholarship for a total of four years if they meet the following requirements:
- Registration as a full-time student
- Completion of course work in the declared major
- Maintenance of an overall grade point average of 3.0 at the end of each academic year
- Has financial need as determined by their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
If the student fails to meet these requirements, or transfers to another college or major, the scholarship will be discontinued and re-awarded to another student.
To be eligible to receive this scholarship the following criteria must be met:
- Applicant must be accepted as a freshman by UW-Superior.
- Applicant must have financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Only students whose overall high school GPA is at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and who score in the upper 25% in a standard college placement exam (ACT/SAT) will be considered.
Candidates who meet the minimum criteria will be invited to apply for the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship and must complete the following:
- Apply for admissions to UW-Superior online
- Apply for federal student aid at fafsa.gov beginning on Oct. 1
- Submit a statement describing your interest in biology or chemistry by email to your admissions counselor or to email@example.com, or in person to the Admissions Office, Yellowjacket Union 230.
- Request a letter of support from an appropriate high school science teacher and submit by email to your admissions counselor or to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person to the Admissions Office, Yellowjacket Union 230.
Applications and supplemental documents must be submitted on or before February 1.