Swenson Scholarship Information
What is it?
The Swenson Family Trust Scholarship is a full tuition scholarship that includes a $1000/year book stipend and is awarded to eight qualified new students each year pursuing careers in biology or chemistry.
Jim and Sue Swenson, alumni of UW-Superior, established the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship program in 1994. Their vision was to provide full-tuition scholarships (plus a $1,000 book allowance) to academically talented freshmen students enrolled at UW-Superior majoring in biology or chemistry. Since Jim and Sue received help through the generosity of others in funding their college educations, they feel strongly about "giving back" to students who qualify for financial assistance.
The Swenson Family Trust Scholarship is available to students majoring in Chemistry or Biology. Students who receive this scholarship award will maintain the scholarship for four years if they meet the following requirements:
- Registration as a full-time student.
- Completion of course work in the declared major.
- Maintenance of an overall grade point average of 3.0 at the end of each academic year.
- Has financial need as determined by a yearly FAFSA application.
If the student fails to meet these requirements, or transfers to another college or major, the scholarship will be discontinued.
To be eligible to receive this scholarship the following criteria must be met:
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be accepted as a freshman by UW-Superior.
- Only students whose overall grade point average in college preparatory curriculum is 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and who score in the upper 25% in a standard college placement exam (ACT/SAT) will be considered.
- Financial need will be considered as determined by the Financial Worksheet.
Candidates who meet the minimum criteria will be invited to apply for the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship and must complete the following:
- Apply for admissions to UW-Superior online by February 1
- Complete the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship Financial Worksheet.
- Submit a statement describing your interest in biology or chemistry.
- Request a letter of support from an appropriate high school science teacher.
- All materials must be received by February 15 for consideration.
- Scholarships will be awarded beginning March 15.
Once you have been awarded the Swenson Family Trust Fund Scholarship, you have until May 1st to pay the $100 enrollment deposit, register for Summer Orientation, Advisement and Registration (SOAR) and mail in your scholarship thank you otherwise your scholarship will be revoked.
For More Information
If you would like more information about the Swenson Family Trust Scholarship or general admission requirements contact:
UW-Superior Office of Admissions
Belknap & Catlin
PO Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880-4500