What is a typical UW-Superior class like?
At UWS, there is a high percentage of non-traditional students in the classroom along with traditional aged students, which means that you are likely to be sitting next to someone who may have similar life experience as you. In addition, we have over 250 veteran students attending UW-Superior.
Do I have to be on campus to take classes?
No, our distance learning department offers a number of courses and four majors that can be taken online. Additional majors are in the process of being added. Contact the Distance Learning Office
(firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-394-8487 ) to see what is available to be taken anywhere, anytime, online.
I'm interested in becoming a teacher. What additional resources are available?
Troops to Teachers (TTT) continues to pursue the goal of helping to relieve teacher shortages, especially in math, science, special education and other high needs subject areas, and to assist military personnel in making successful transitions to second careers in teaching. Federal legislation provides TTT enrollees pursuing requirements for teaching certification, who agree to teach in high need school districts, a stipend of up to $5,000 to offset the cost of teacher training programs. Those willing to teach in schools with a high percentage of students from low income families may receive a $10,000 bonus. Program participants cannot receive more than a total of $10,000 from TTT. Check out Wisconsin's Troops to Teachers Benefits. Contact Lynn Karna, Veterans' Benefits Coordinator to see if you are eligible for these additional benefits.
I'm interested in Study Abroad/Study Away. Is there assistance through my VA Benefits?
Check out the Post 911 Study Abroad Fact Sheet through the VA
What are five reasons a Veteran should attend UW-Superior?
- We aspire to transfer in as many military credits as possible. You will also have the option of participating in Prior Learning Experience Courses (PLA).
- Unique accredited programs, like the Transportation and Logistics, Art Therapy and Digital Media programs are just a few of the majors you can choose from.
- As part of the University of Wisconsin System, you will have access to every library within the system, including UW-Madison. Need a hard-to-find journal? Use the system; request the item and it's delivered to you within a week.
- We're a small school set in the middle of the city of Superior. This makes campus easy to navigate and the 21 students per class average make it easy to learn and connect with your peers and professors.
- You matter! At UW-Superior you are more than just a number. You'll get an individualized education and support from faculty and staff to help you achieve academic success.