Youth Options Students/PSEO

Youth Options Students/PSEO

Youth Option Student Advisement and Registration for Fall Semester 2015 begins April 6 to August 28, 2015.

The Youth Options program allows Wisconsin high school juniors and seniors to enroll in college course work at an institution of higher learning in Wisconsin. Youth Options students must formally apply for admission, meet admission requirements, submit a high school transcript, and a letter of recommendation on high school stationery from the high school principal and/or counselor. Students must also provide a written statement indicating their reasons for wanting to enroll in the Youth Options program and a list of courses the student would like to enroll in. Generally, the student must be ranked in the upper half of their class to be considered for admission. Admissions to UW-Superior will not guarantee availability of space in any desired course.

Note: Prior to selecting classes for approval, the student and high school counselor should review the university catalog course description section to verify if the course has a prerequisite requirement that must be completed before enrollment will be allowed.

Before registration, Youth Options students must submit proof that the proposed coursework has been approved by their school district.

  1. Submit PI-8700 form which is the form sent to the school district for approval
  2. Letter sent from the school district on school district letterhead identifying course work approved by the school district

It is the student's responsibility to make arrangement for payment of tuition, fees, and course materials. Youth Option students are subject to UW-Superior codes of conduct and academic policies. All course work taken by Youth Option students will be recorded and transcripted as post-secondary credit. It is the responsibility of the student and the school board to determine whether the coursework may also satisfy high school credit requirements.

Youth Options Student Academic Responsibilities

Although Youth Option students still attend high school, as an enrolled student at UW-Superior you will be subject to university codes of conduct and academic policies. This means you will be responsible for making appropriate arrangements for paying tuition, fees, and course materials and it is your responsibility to be knowledgeable regarding policies relating to procedures and fees assessed for withdrawing from classes, dropping a course, late fees and refunds.

Academic Good Standing

As a Youth Options student, it is imperative that you maintain a 2.0 GPA to remain in academic good standing. Poor or failing grades received as a Youth Options student can impact your progress toward high school graduation and could impact your ability to be accepted as a degree seeking student at the university level. If you are having difficulty in a class at UWS, discuss your situation with your UWS instructor and your high school counselor as soon as possible to identify your options for improving your class performance and/or the possibility of dropping the course if necessary. It is the student's responsibility to monitor their academic progress and to make timely decisions regarding their UWS coursework with their high school counselor.

UWS Transcripts

In compliance with the Youth Options program, students are required to provide their high school and/or school board with an official transcript indicating completed course work with grade(s) earned at the end of each term of enrollment.

Registration for Classes: Once you have been admitted to UW-Superior and have received your acceptance letter, the UW-Superior Continuing Education Office will verify the following information before registration is allowed:

  1. That you have been officially admitted to the university
  2. That the necessary course approval information from the school district is on file with the Admissions Office.
  3. The approved classes are open for enrollment
  4. That any class prerequisites have been met by the student to allow enrollment

School District approval must be on file with the Admissions Office in order to allow enrollment. In the event that the approved classes are closed at the time of registration, the student will be instructed to either contact the instructor and request an override into the class or return to the school district for approval of additional class options. Youth Options Students must register for classes through the Continuing Education Office, Old Main 102.