Overview of Student Learning Assessment
Assessment of student learning outcomes is an on going pedagogical process of:
- Establishing clear, measurable expected outcomes of student learning
- Ensuring that students have sufficient opportunities to achieve those outcomes
- Systematically gathering, analyzing, and interpreting evidence to determine how well student learning matches our expectations
- Using the resulting information to understand and improve student learning
Assessing student learning has become increasingly important for the quality and accountability of the higher education.
- For educational practitioners, assessment is to affirm and improve curricular and co-curricular programs based on a critical analysis of systematically collected credible evidence of student learning outcomes.
- For other audiences, including accreditation agencies and prospective students, assessment brings transparency and accountability to higher education.