This document is intended to clarify the UW-Superior policy and procedure pertaining to the expenditure of state funds for food and refreshments. This policy does not pertain to staff and students when in travel status or to search and screen committees. State funds include all UW-Superior funds, including 102, 104, 105, 128, 133, 136, 144, 150, 233 and 402. Food and refreshment costs associated with UW-Superior sponsored business meetings may generally be covered by state funds if they are actual, reasonable and necessarily incurred in the discharge of official duties, as indicated in the following guidelines or with Chancellor approval.
A. Faculty and Staff Meetings
- Refreshment break expenses are allowable when a meeting is scheduled to last three hours or longer.
- Meal expenses are allowable if the meeting is scheduled to last six hours or longer.
B. Student Events*
- Refreshment break expenses (other than segregated-fee funded) are allowable when a meeting is scheduled to last three hours or longer.
- Meal expenses (other than segregated-fee funded) are allowable if the meeting is scheduled to last six hours or longer.
- Program fees (e.g., Orientation) may include refreshments and meals of student participants, if so indicated in the program announcement.
- Segregated Fee funding may be used for meals or refreshments if the organization or department has obtained approval as part of the SUFAC budget prior to the event.
*Fundraised money is an exception to this policy.
C. Meetings Conducted for the Convenience of Community Members
- Refreshment break expenses are allowable when a meeting is scheduled to last 90 minutes or more in length and when there is expected to be an appropriate mix of community members and staff members in attendance.
- Meal expenses are allowable when a meeting is scheduled to last 90 minutes or more in length.
Reasonable food and beverage costs are allowed when a department is hosting a reception or program that is (a) open to the public or external constituencies, and (b) for purposes of promoting the mission of the university or department.
PleaseNote: In every instance where State Funds will be used to cover food expenses, as described above, a Request for Payment of Catered Food Service form with the required documentation and approval signature must be completed and provided to Chartwell's prior to the date of the meeting or event. If these guidelines are not followed, the Cost Center Manager may be responsible for identifying non-State Funds to cover any costs that may have been incurred.