Wisconsin's Public Liberal Arts College

Social Media and Networking

Social Media and Networking

Career Services

Social Media and Networking

Are You Online?

The Internet provides endless opportunities to create your personal brand. From Twitter to Facebook, one can post links, sound off on any topic, and join various groups and applications. The challenge becomes asking yourself: is my online presence a positive reflection on my reputation?

Utilize the below tabs to assess your current image online, build professionalism by joining LinkedIn, and utilize social media sites to network and conduct a successful job search.

For more information, contact Career Services.

Assess Your Brand

Brands are not just for products, they also pertain to you and your job search. Branding yourself is a great way to make sure you are presenting the right image to potential employers and the public in general. It will also help you sell your must important product, YOU!

Utilize these resources to assess your current online image and see what others can learn about you.

Build Professionalism Online

One of the best ways to build your professional image online is to join the professional networking site, LinkedIn. LinkedIn allows you to post your current experiences and expertise, as well as connect with your network from past jobs, classes, and more.

Beyond joining LinkedIn be sure to take advantage of Facebook and other sites that can be used as branding tools for your professional image.


If unable to view the videos below, please create a free Lynda.com account

What is LinkedIn?

Setting Up a New LinkedIn Profile

Networking and Job Search

Online job board postings only account for 20% of available jobs in the market, the rest rely on networking and who you know. Utilizing face-to-face networking as well as online professional networks like LinkedIn can open the doors to the other 80% of available jobs.

Back to Top