Academic Policies and Procedures


The unit of credit is the semester hour. It is defined as one class hour per week (or its equivalent) for one semester.

Grade Points

Grade points indicate the quality of work. A "C" average (2.0) is required for graduation. Grade points are earned in relation to the grade received in a course. 

Letter Grade

Grade points per credit

























P (Pass)

0  (Not counted in GPA but credit is granted)

Aud (Audit)

0  (Not counted in GPA)

F (Failure)

0  (Counted as attempted credit) 

XF (Failure based on unofficial withdrawal) 

0  (Counted as attempted credit)

I (Incomplete)

0  (Not counted as attempted credit)

W (Withdraw - Passing)

0  (Not counted as attempted credit)

WF (Withdraw - Failing)

0  (Counted as attempted credit)

NR (Grade not reported by instructor)

0  (Not counted as attempted credit)

IP (In Progress)

0  (Not counted as attempted credit)

Grade Point Average

The cumulative grade point average (GPA) is based on the grade point system and is computed by dividing the total number of points earned per credit by the total number of credits attempted. Grades of P, I, Aud, W, NR, and IP are not counted as credits attempted in computing GPA.

The cumulative grade point average for a straight A letter grade in six three-credit courses is computed by dividing the total number of grade points (A =  four grade points multiplied by 18 credits = 72 grade points) by the number of attempted credits (18 ), which would give the student a cumulative average of 4.000. 

Semester Grades

UW-Superior no longer mails grade reports to students. Students may access their grades on their E-Hive account as soon as they are posted after the end of the term. Students on academic probation or suspension are notified of their status.

Mid-Term Grades

Students earning a D or F in 100- to 200-level semester-long courses through the middle of the term will receive a mid-semester grade report. The student is encouraged to discuss his or her academic performance with the instructor and/or adviser to determine ways to improve course performance or overall academic progress. Mid-term grades are not issued during summer session. 

Change of Grades

It is the student's responsibility to call the instructor's attention to any perceived error in grading as soon as possible after grades are reported. The process must be initiated by the eighth week of the term following the term in which the grade was recorded, excluding summer. It is the instructor's responsibility to correct grading errors by the end of the term following the term in which the error was recorded. The instructor and department chair authorize the change by signing a Change of Grade Form. The department chair will then file it with the Registrar's Office, where the record will be changed and the student notified of the change of grade.

A change in grade after the semester following the semester in which the grading error was recorded may be made only upon approval of the Credits Committee for undergraduate grades and the Graduate Council for graduate grades. Requests must be made in writing and must be supported in writing by the instructor and the department chair. These papers are forwarded to the Registrar's Office for presentation to the Credits Committee or to the Graduate Office for presentation to the Graduate Council.  

Grade Appeal Process

At the University of Wisconsin-Superior, instructors are expected to evaluate students regularly and consistently by criteria and guidelines provided to the students at the beginning of the semester. If a student has reason to believe that a grade is incorrect, the student may act on that concern through the following process.

A student may seek to appeal the grade based on one or more of the following factors:

  • An error was made in grade computation;  
  • The grade was based on factors contrary to those stated in the course syllabus;  
  • The grade involved some breach of federal or state constitutional protections, federal laws, Regents' Rules; or UW-Superior policies.

Student Appeal Process

  1. Student should present rationale for changing the grade to the instructor. This consultation shall take place no later than the fourth week of the following semester.
  2. If the results are not satisfactory and the student wishes to continue the appeal process, the student shall make an appointment and talk with the department chair explaining the grade concern.
  3. The department chair can offer to facilitate a meeting between the student and the instructor.
  4. If the results are not satisfactory and the student wishes to continue the appeal process, the student has the right to contact the provost and submit a written request for review of the contested grade.
  5. The provost can appoint an individual or group to review the student grade concern and report back to the provost.
  6. The provost, after hearing the results of the report in No. 5, can suggest an instructor change a grade or that no action be taken to change a grade. The provost as chief academic officer has the final determination in establishing cause. 

    The instructor is the only person who can change a grade (unless the instructor is no longer on campus and/or available to make a grade change.) If there is cause to request a grade change and the instructor declines to make the change, the provost has the right to submit a written description of the complaint to be inserted into the instructor's personnel file. Likewise, the instructor can submit a letter of explanation regarding the grade.

    If the provost determines that there is no cause to request a change in grade, the matter is closed with no record in the instructor's personnel file.
  7. The provost will convey the findings and actions to the student, the instructor, and the department chair.


Official dates for regular and evening class registration are available in the Registrar's Office and on the website. Information regarding registration procedures and policies will be sent to all new and reentering students and to other interested parties upon request. All inquiries should be directed to the Registrar's Office, Old Main 139.


Full-time undergraduate students (12 credits or more) at UW-Superior can cross-register for two classes per term, except summer, at either the University of Minnesota-Duluth or the College of St. Scholastica. UM-Duluth evening courses are not available for cross-registration. Online courses, Distance Learning Center courses and Continuing Education courses at UW-Superior are not available for cross-registration. Registration forms are available in the Registrar's Office, Old Main 139.

Students need to be aware that cross-registered courses are counted in the total credit load. Additional fees will be charged for credits over 18.

This program enhances the opportunities for the students of the participating institutions to take advantage of the unique strengths and offerings of all, and greatly increases the overall numbers and varieties of the programs which are now available to most students in higher education in our region.

Students wishing to use a cross-registered course to fulfill a degree requirement should get confirmation that the course is acceptable prior to enrollment. Repeating a course taken previously at UW-Superior through cross-registration will not remove the initial UW-Superior grade from the record. For courses in a major, the department chair should authorize the substitution. For general education courses, students should check with the Registrar's Office.

Conditions of cross-registration include the provisions that the course requested must have an opening for the student and that the chair of the department in which the course is offered has given permission for the student to enroll in the course. Students must be enrolled at the home institution as full-time students and maintain those credits for at least the first four weeks of the term.

Coursework through the Distance Learning Center

Coursework through the Distance Learning Center (DLC) is normally open only to students enrolled in the program. However, on-campus students, with the support of their advisor, the instructor and the department chair of the instructor, and the DLC director, may enroll in coursework through DLC.

Class Standing

0 - 27 earned credits = freshman

28 - 55 earned credits = sophomore

56 - 83 earned credits = junior

84+ earned credits = senior

Official Enrollment

Students are officially enrolled only in those courses which appear on the program on file in the Registrar's Office. Faculty will record a grade for each course listed on the official program even if the student does not attend. No grades will be recorded in courses not appearing on the official program.

Credit Load

Refer to the chart Semester Credit Load for Undergraduate Students to ascertain maximum credit load for undergraduate students. Full-time status is 12-18 semester credits for undergraduate students. Additional fees will be charged for credits over 18 or for online or Distance Learning Center courses. Class standing is determined by the number of credits earned, not by the number of semesters attended. Students who are in academic difficulty or employed may find it beneficial to take less than a maximum load. This load could be prescribed by their advisor or by the Student Reinstatement Committee.

Students carrying credits in UW-Extension (either UW-Superior or UW-Madison) must include these credits in computing total load.

Semester Credit Load for Undergraduate Students

Excess Credits Policy

All students accumulating more than 165 credits (or 30 more than required by their degree program, whichever is greater) toward their first undergraduate degree will pay the full cost of instruction. This covers all resident undergraduate students including students pursuing a double degree or double major. Exceptions include undergraduate special students, students pursuing post-baccalaureate certification or licensure, and Minnesota reciprocity students (until such time that Minnesota adopts a similar surcharge).

The policy applies to all UW System-earned credits and WTCS transfer credits accepted toward a degree. Credits transferred from other institutions as well as other types of credit or coursework for which credit may be awarded (such as advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, remedial credits, etc.) are not included in the credit limit. 

The additional cost is applied to students in the semester following the one in which they reached they earned the credit limit. The Registrar's Office will notify students who are close to the credit limit.

Appeals for exceptions because of extenuating circumstances may be made to the Excess Credit Appeals Committee, which is comprised of the Registrar, the Bursar, and the Financial Aid Director.

Summer College Credit Load

Full-time status for summer school is six to nine credits for undergraduate students. Maximum credit load is 14 credits, including pre- and post-summer session courses. Undergraduates enrolled for more than 12 credits must pay the per credit incremental rate.

The maximum load for graduate students during the summer session is one credit per week of attendance or nine semester credits for a nine-week session.

Enrollment in Courses Numbered 001-099

Students enrolled in English and Mathematics courses numbered 099 or lower will normally not be permitted to enroll for more than 15 credits during that term. Courses numbered 099 or lower are considered remedial courses and do not count toward the 120 credits needed for graduation. New freshman required to take WRIT 099 or MATH 099 must successfully complete remedial coursework before completing 30 semester credits.

Auditing Classes

An auditor may enroll in a course, with the instructor's consent, for which the auditor will receive neither grade nor credit. The student is expected to attend class regularly but will not be expected to submit assignments or take examinations. Audited courses do not count toward a degree and cannot be converted to credit after the last day to add classes. They do not count in determining credit load. A student's transcript will indicate "Aud" if the instructor determined that the student has attended regularly and warrants an Aud grade. When registering for an audit, indicate Aud credits on the program.

Pass-Fail System

A student is allowed a total of 15 elective Pass-Fail credits, with the exclusion of WRIT 101 and WRIT 102. Additional credits identified by the various departments and courses in the student's major may not be taken Pass-Fail. Students in an education curriculum cannot take COMM 110 on the Pass-Fail system. Students in Business and Economics curriculums and other students who wish to enroll in 300- or 400-level Business or Economics courses may not include courses taken on a Pass-Fail basis when determining their eligibility to enroll in 300- or 400-level Business or Economics courses. Details are specified in the Business and Economics section of this catalog.

Students obtain the Pass-Fail form from the Registrar's Office and must register for Pass-Fail on or before the date specified in the University's Academic Calendar. Students who choose the Pass-Fail option shall not have the opportunity to change their decision. If a student receives a Pass under this system the student may not at a later date repeat that course for a grade.

Students should be aware that it may be difficult to have courses with Pass grades accepted in transfer to another institution of higher education.

Program Change (Drop/Add)

Students may drop from or add courses to their official program on or before the dates indicated in the University's Academic Calendar. Students who are required to change sections in a class must initiate this action on a Drop/Add Form.

A change in program is official only when the Drop/Add has been processed in the Registrar's Office.

Drop/Adds, for Mini courses (courses running less than full-term)

Length of Course 

Last Day to Add  

Last Day to Drop

2-5 days

first day of class 

first day of class

2-3 weeks 

second day of class

7th calendar day

4-5 weeks 

third day of class

14th calendar day

6-10 weeks

fourth day of class  

21st calendar day

10 weeks and beyondfifth day of class established term dropdate for all courses 

Note:  These are the dates for dropping of classes. Partial or full refund of tuition dates may differ and are published on the cashier's web site at

Name and Address Changes

The Registrar's Office should be notified as soon as possible of a student's change in name or address. Each student is expected to maintain his or her mailing address through his or her E-Hive account or through a change of address form submitted to the Registrar's Office. The mailing address represents the address to which official university mail will be sent during the student's career.

Students who wish to have their billing statements mailed to an address different than their mailing address should contact the Cashier's Office. Graduate students may request a business address be entered by the Graduate Studies Office.

Administrative Drop Policy (Semester–Long Courses Only)

Students who register prior to the first day of class are expected to attend the first meeting of each course. The registration will be forfeited to provide space for other students if the student does not attend the first meeting. In extenuating circumstances where the first day of attendance is not possible, the instructor or department chair may exempt the student from the automatic administrative drop policy. Students need to verify that they have been administratively dropped by examining their class schedule two weeks after the beginning of the term.

Online courses are included as semester-long. Students enrolled in online courses must contact the instructor in the first five days after the start of the class or they will be administratively dropped.


A grade of Incomplete (I) may be given by an instructor when a student has been engaged for at least two-thirds of the class but has been prevented by emergency circumstances from completing the course. There should be, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student can complete the course successfully without again attending regular class sessions or needing extensive instructor supervision.

A grade of Incomplete must be removed by the end of the next semester attended or within one year from the end of the semester in case of non-attendance. If the course work is not completed and the grade not recorded on the final roster within the specified time, the grade will remain an "I" and cannot be changed.

In-Progress Grade Policy

A grade of In Progress (IP) may be given by an instructor for enrollments in courses where the expectation is that the student will not be able to finish the course within the traditional term.  Courses meeting this requirement are student teaching, internships, senior capstones or thesis.

Repeating a Course

All students repeating a course taken at UW-Superior must complete a Course Repeat Card and submit it with other registration materials.

Undergraduate students may repeat only courses taken at this university in which a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F, Aud, WF, W, I or IP was earned. These courses can be repeated only at this campus. By repeating courses students may raise their grade point averages. The grade of record is the grade earned in the repeat. Repeating a course through cross-registration will not remove the initial grade from the record.

Internship Policy 

Many of the academic programs at UW-Superior encourage or require their students to participate in an internship.

First, to be eligible to enter an internship, each student must complete all requirements to enter the internship as established by the department in which the internship is offered.

Second, departments offering internships must have a signed affiliation/ partnership agreement in place with each agency, school, or site in which it intends to place its interns. No intern may be placed in an internship site until such an agreement is signed by both parties. These agreements are to articulate the roles and responsibilities of each party and establish responsibility for liability coverage.

Copies of the signed and approved affiliation or partnership agreement must be filed both with the department granting credit (or supervising it in the case of zero credit) and with the vice chancellor for administration and finance. The contract must be on file and the student must be registered for the course prior to beginning the hours involved.


Withdrawal from the University

A student wishing to withdraw from the University must obtain an Official Withdrawal Form (WF) from the Registrar's Office and return the completed form to that office.

If the Official Withdrawal Form is properly filed in the Registrar's Office by the final date to drop classes, as given in the University's Academic Calendar, the courses taken by the student to the date of filing are not shown on the student's transcript.

If the Official Withdrawal Form is filed after the final date to drop classes, the courses are listed on the student's transcripts with a grade of W (withdrew, passing) or a grade of WF (withdrew, failing). Students cannot withdraw from Summer College after the course(s) they were enrolled in has ended.

Students should be aware that a WF is counted as attempted credits in calculating grade point average and has the same impact as an F.

The Official Withdrawal Form is not accepted by the Registrar's Office during the scheduled final examinations week. Therefore, the letter grades for each course are recorded on the student's transcript as reported by the instructor on the final grade sheet.

Degree Progress Reports

Degree Progress Reports are available to students on their web site. An approved Degree Progress Report must be completed by students during their junior year (56-83 semester credits). The approved Degree Progress Report must be on file with the Registrar's Office the semester before the student registers as a senior (84 or more credits). Failure to do so may mean a delay in notification of any outstanding requirements. This report includes all coursework that a student must complete to meet the General University, Major, Minor and Graduation requirements as stated in the student's catalog of entry or exit. The document does not constitute a legal and binding contract between a student at UW-Superior and the University.

Seniors Taking Graduate Courses

Second-semester UW-Superior seniors, with approval of the Graduate Council, may take a maximum of six graduate semester credits in courses numbered 500-699 during their final semester, subject to certain provisions. The graduate credits must be beyond those required for the baccalaureate degree, and cannot count toward the baccalaureate degree. Permission to enroll for the graduate credits requires approval of the Graduate Council, obtained by means of a petition during the prior semester. Seniors seeking this privilege must meet the grade point average required for unconditional admission to Graduate Studies. Undergraduate academic fees will be charged for these six graduate credits. After completion of an undergraduate degree, these graduate credits will be entered on the student's graduate transcripts.  The student will have to pay the differential between undergraduate and graduate fees for the process to be completed.


The Registrar's Office furnishes transcripts to potential employers, school officials, governmental agencies or to students but ONLY with a Transcript Request Form or a letter containing the student's signature. There is a $8 fee ($12 for rush requests) for each transcript requested that must accompany the request. The request should include: student's name while enrolled, dates of attendance, Social Security number or Student Identification Number (SID), whether graduate or undergraduate transcript, and name and address of person or organization to whom it is to be released. Telephone requests CANNOT be honored. Transcripts cannot be issued if money is owed to the University, or if any type of hold exists on the student's account. Transcript requests are normally processed within 24 hours, except during the last and the first week of each term. Graduating students will receive a transcript with all grades and the degree granted listed, along with their diploma, four to six weeks after the end of their final term.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes. Individual absences from class may be excused only by the instructor. Consult the course syllabus for proper procedures for notifying the instructor in case of emergency.

Group absences for both off- and on-campus activities, such as field trips, music clinics, and athletic trips, must be cleared with the appropriate administrator and a list of students participating be made available for publication. The list of students should be posted on the University's website or sent by e-mail to the campus community by the sponsoring authority. Students absent for University-approved activities will be excused from class and allowed to make up missed course work. Instructors may require students to complete a supplementary assignment in lieu of class attendance. It is the student's responsibility to directly notify the instructors prior to the absence.

Accommodation for Pregnancy and Birth

The Faculty Senate of UW-Superior reaffirms the obligation of the institution and its employees to make appropriate physical and academic accommodations for students who are pregnant and who give birth during the academic semester, including the parent supporting those who are pregnant or giving birth, and that the institution's obligation to provide appropriate accommodations for pregnancy and childbirth be clearly indicated in course syllabi, the UW-Superior catalog, and all other locations that list University accommodation policies. Wording in the syllabus might be: "If you are pregnant and/or give birth during the semester that you are a student in this class, or you are the partner/spouse of a person pregnant or giving birth, you are entitled to any necessary physical, curricular, or test accommodations needed due to the pregnancy and or childbirth. Please let me know in advance so that appropriate arrangements can be made."

Dean’s List

To be eligible for the Dean's List a student must complete 15 credits for the semester with a minimum grade point average of 3.50.

Academic Status

Students should choose the academic pace that best meets their personal goals; however, successful movement toward goals combined with at least adequate acquisition of academic competence is a responsibility of the student. The following standards have been defined for undergraduate students classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, or undergraduate specials.

The policies and regulations listed below define the minimum academic standards of the University. A separate set of standards exist for financial aid and athletic eligibility.

Academic Good Standing

To be eligible to enroll for classes, a student must be considered to be in academic good standing. Students who have been suspended are not considered to be in academic good standing and will be eligible to enroll for classes only after reinstatement. An exception to this policy is made for summer term enrollment. See the following section titled Academic Suspension.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on academic probation whenever their:

1.         Cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0,


2.         Semester grade point average is less than 1.66 regardless of the cumulative grade point average.

Students on academic probation shall be restricted to enrollment in a maximum of 12-14 credits (four courses) while they are on probation. Students on probation must earn a 2.0 semester grade point average the following semester to remain in good standing. Once the cumulative grade point average goes to 2.0 or above, they are no longer on probation. If students fail to earn a 2.0 semester grade point average, while on probation, they will be suspended.

Whenever students' semester or cumulative grade point average fall below 2.00, the students will be notified before the start of the next semester. Students may want to contact their advisors before the beginning of the semester to discuss potential modifications to the next semester's schedule.

Transfer students accepted with less than a 2.00 cumulative grade point average from all previously attended institutions will be admitted on academic probation.

Suspended students readmitted by the Student Reinstatement Committee will be readmitted on academic probation.

Academic Suspension

At the end of each term the University reviews the academic records of all students. Students previously on probation will be suspended if their semester grade point average is less than 2.0.

Students suspended for failure to maintain academic good standing shall be declared ineligible to continue to enroll during any fall or spring term. Suspended students may attend classes during Summer College without being reinstated.


Suspended students are required to petition for readmission no matter how long ago the suspension occurred unless they have raised their cumulative grade point average over 2.0 through summer term enrollment. Petitions for readmission should be filed with the Registrar's Office at least one week before the beginning of the term in which they wish to re-enter.

Students will not be considered for readmission before the lapse of at least one semester unless it can be demonstrated to the Reinstatement Committee that the academic suspension was due to factors beyond the students' control and that the cause for the suspension has been removed. If students have been suspended previously and been readmitted, they will not be eligible to be considered for readmission until a period of one year has elapsed unless they can satisfactorily demonstrate that the cause for suspension has been removed.

Re-entry transfer students must furnish official transcripts. Admission, even after the above waiting periods, is not guaranteed. It will be necessary for the students to demonstrate that their studies can be successfully completed.

Personal Appeal

If students' written Petition for Reinstatement are denied, the students have the right to a personal appeal. Students will need to meet with the Reinstatement Committee personally. Students should be aware that a personal appeal must be supported by information and/or documentation over and above what was provided on the written petition, if the appeal is to have a chance to succeed.


Transfer Policy

Course credits from college parallel courses earned in institutions previously attended are recorded on the student's academic record at UW-Superior. Course numbers on the Transfer of Credit Analysis Sheet are converted to UW-Superior course numbers whenever possible. The Credits Committee may take action to award transfer credit for courses for which UW-Superior does not have a comparable department or curricular area, or for which UW-Superior does not have a direct course equivalent. Where appropriate, these credits will apply toward satisfying general education and other degree requirements.

If a specific course number appears in the evaluation, the student should not enroll in that course at UW-Superior. This would result in loss of credit, since duplicate credit for a course is not allowed. Transfer grades are not computed in the grade point average by the university except for those taken as part of the cross-registration program. Grades earned at UW-Superior or through cross-registration are the only ones used in calculating a grade point average except as indicated below.

Grades in transfer courses applying to majors in the Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems or Economics will be computed to ensure that all students' graduation from a major program meet the same minimum grade point average requirements.

Transfer course grades may be used in determining the eligibility for admission into Teacher Education and for participation in the professional and field experiences within the department.

If the student wants to appeal the transfer analysis, he or she may contact the admissions office before proceeding with academic advising and registration.

In cases where a transfer student has completed a course to meet a General Education requirement at his or her previous institution but which does not meet a requirement at UW-Superior, he or she may petition the Credits Committee to substitute the course for an appropriate specific General Education requirement. It is the responsibility of the student to provide the appropriate documentation such as catalog copy or degree audit from the previous institution to support the request.

The Credits Committee will broadly interpret course substitution requests according to the Principles of Accommodation. The Credits Committee will accept General Education/liberal arts requirements in the broad academic areas of non-Western and diversity, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and physical sciences, and fine and applied arts. In recognition of the high quality of instruction at all University of Wisconsin institutions and in the interest of best serving students, transfer credit may be awarded by the Credits Committee for courses, curricular areas, and departments which are not offered at UW-Superior. In general the Credits Committee will award maximum credit earned from the transfer institution.

The number of credits earned for a course taken on the quarter system must be multiplied by 2/3 to convert to the semester system. Thus a course for three quarter credits would be changed to two semester credits when transferred to UW-Superior.

Coursework equivalent to Freshman English composition must have been completed with a grade of C- or better for the credit to be accepted at UW-Superior. A grade of C- or better in "Introduction to Communication" is required for students in an education curriculum.

Credits Allowed by Examination, Extension and Correspondence

A maximum of 40 semester credits earned through any combination of examination, extension courses, and correspondence courses is acceptable toward the baccalaureate degree. Credits earned through University of Wisconsin-Extension Independent Study are exempt from this policy.

Credit by Examination

The University believes students may acquire knowledge and skill competencies through and by experiences which are not necessarily tied to the traditional campus setting. It is the philosophy of this University to allow students credit by examination opportunities in order to broaden students' educational opportunities and accelerate their progress toward completion of degree requirements.

Students transferring to UW-Superior shall have the opportunity to transfer up to 32 semester credits acquired through credit by examination in those courses and disciplines for which credit by examination opportunities are provided at UW-Superior.

Credit by examination can be pursued through two different means:

A.         Departmental Examinations

  1. The following guidelines have been established for departmental examinations:
  2. Departmental examination opportunities may be available in courses offered for undergraduate credit. Instruction and evaluation are the responsibilities of academic departments. Accordingly, academic departments will designate those courses eligible for departmental examination and will determine the standards, methods, and procedures for course content and credits.
  3. Where departmental examination credit is awarded, an appropriate letter grade or Pass will be assigned as determined by the faculty in the department. Credit received through examination will be so noted on transcripts. Courses completed by departmental examination will not be computed in determining students' grade point averages.
  4. No entry will be made on a student's transcript except when he or she successfully completes a course according to the requirements for departmental examinations.
  5. Students have the opportunity of acquiring up to 32 semester credits by examination, whether by departmental examination or by CLEP/DANTES examination.
  6. To have the opportunity for credit by departmental examination, students must make arrangements with the appropriate academic department. Once this has been done, the student must secure an examination form from the Registrar's Office and pay a $25 per course service fee to the Business Office before taking the examination. A receipt showing payment of this fee will be verified by examiners at the time the examination is scheduled.
  7. Students will not be allowed to acquire credit by departmental examination in courses in which they already have earned a grade.
  8. Students will not be allowed to repeat an examination for credit in a course in which they have previously attempted to gain credit by examination.
  9. Academic departments will provide opportunities for departmental examinations during the registration period and the first three weeks of each semester or summer school session. Departmental examination credits must be received in the Registrar's Office no later than the end of the fifth week of the semester to be recorded for that semester.
  10. It shall be the responsibility of the department chairs to see that departments develop plans and procedures for credit by departmental examination.

B.         CLEP-DANTES (DSST) Examinations

Students at UW-Superior may receive college credit for passing scores on certain examinations offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Educational Support (DANTES or DSST). These examinations are offered by appointment only. CLEP and DANTES tests are offered online only. The following policies and procedures must be followed in receiving credit for CLEP or DANTES: 

  1. CLEP or DANTES examination credit is awarded only for course exams approved by UW-Superior faculty.  
  2. Only students enrolled at UW-Superior may receive credit for CLEP or DANTES examinations. Students who take examinations before actual enrollment at UW-Superior will receive college credit only after enrolling.
  3. Students may acquire up to 32 semester credits by examination, whether by departmental examination or CLEP/DANTES examination.  
  4. Credits awarded at UW-Superior for CLEP/DANTES may or may not be transferable to other institutions. Transfer of credit is at the discretion of the institution to which students are transferring.  
  5. When successful on a particular examination, students are awarded credit for the course (no grades are awarded). Failure on an exam is not recorded on student records. Students can repeat the examinations six months after the initial examination.  
  6. Normally, students will not be allowed to gain credit by examination for courses in which they already have earned a grade.  
  7. Obtain testing registration information from the testing coordinator, Old Main, Room 135; or at the Testing Services website at

C.         Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

Secondary school students may have participated in the Advanced Placement Program in high school.

  1. Credit may be awarded for a score of 3 or above on appropriate examinations.
  2. Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Credit for Military Experience and Schools

Students who have served in the armed services may receive credit toward graduation for certain specialized training programs completed while in military service. In awarding credit for such technical or specialized training, the recommendations of the American Council on Education are followed:

  • Students whose length of service was of one year or more are allowed up to six semester credits.
  • A maximum of 32 semester credits may be allowed for military experience and schools. 

Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges

UW-Superior has been designated an institutional member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC), a group of more than 400 colleges and universities providing voluntary post-secondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, UW-Superior recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences. SOC has been developed jointly by educational representatives of each of the armed services, the Office of the Secretary of Defense and a consortium of 13 leading national higher education associations; it is sponsored by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) and the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges (AACJC). Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Credit for Prior Learning Through Portfolio Assessment

UW-Superior grants credit based on prior learning experience when three criteria are satisfied:

  1. What was learned must be related to courses, disciplines, academic areas and/or academic programs at an accredited higher education institution. Allowances of credit must be dependent on the availability of reliable evaluation criteria and expertise. If the learning experiences are not academically related, there is no adequate framework for evaluation.
  2. Verification and documentation of what was learned must be presented. If evidence to verify and document the learning experience is not presented, there is no basis for judgment and evaluation.
  3. What was learned must be communicated to the appropriate faculty member(s). If what was learned from the experience cannot be communicated, then evaluation is impossible. A documented portfolio is prepared by students and evaluated by the faculty. Credit awarded through this process can be used to fulfill graduation requirements for the baccalaureate degree.  

Assessment fees are paid upon submission of the portfolio for assessment. Fees include an administrative fee plus a per credit fee for credits assessed.

The university accepts credit awarded for prior learning through portfolio assessment by other regionally accredited colleges and universities, through the same process used to award transfer credit.

For more information on assessment guidelines, assessment forms and sample portfolios, contact the Assessment of Prior Learning Coordinator in Erlanson Hall, Room 105, or refer to

Students seeking credit for technical college (outside of the existing articulation agreements) or other non-collegiate coursework need to contact the Registrar's Office for procedures. The fee for this process is $25.

Student Rights

Rights to Access and Release of Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:  

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day UW-Superior receives a request for access. Except for that information forbidden by the law, the following files and all information contained therein shall constitute students' official educational records at UW-Superior: Registrar's file--Registrar; Graduate file--Dean of Faculty; Placement file--Director of Career Center; Financial Aid file--Director of Financial Aids, Advisement file--Director of Advisement. A written request by a student for a review of his or her records may be filed with the above designated person responsible for a particular portion of the student's record.  The designated office will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.  
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask UW-Superior to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write to the person designated above, clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If UW-Superior decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, UW-Superior will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment.    
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.  One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by UW-Superior in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom UW-Superior has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. 
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by UW-Superior to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U. S. Department of Education
    600 Independence Avenue, SW.
    Washington, DC, 20202-4605  
  5. FERPA permits institutions to identify certain items of information as directory information. This information may be released upon request unless the student, by the 15th of September or during the first 10 days of other academic terms, has indicated, in writing to the Registrar, that she or he does not wish this information released. UW-Superior identifies directory information as the student's:

    a.         Name    
    b.         Address   
    c.         Telephone number    
    E-mail address   
    Major field of study     
    Participation in officially recognized activities and sports 

    Weight and height of members of athletic teams

    h.         Dates of attendance

    i.          Degrees and graduation honors received

    j..         Date of birth

    k.        The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended

    l.         Full time/part time status 
  6. According to FERPA, UW-Superior may release information without the student's written consent to the following: 

    a.         school officials, as identified by UW-Superior

    b.         persons or organizations providing to the student financial aid, or determining financial aid decisions
    c.         accrediting organizations carrying out their accrediting functions
    d.         persons in compliance with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena

    e.         persons in an emergency, if the knowledge of information, in fact is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons  

Questions on this policy can be directed to the Registrar. 

Hometown News

UW-Superior routinely reports student achievement to the news media for publication or broadcast. Examples of such reports are those for students graduating, achieving distinction on the dean's list or other academic or extra/co-curricular activity. If you do not wish your information to be released you must complete a written request to restrict that information with the Registrar's Office. See "Directory Information."

Accommodations of Religious Beliefs

UWS 22.01 DECLARATION OF POLICY. It is the policy of the Board of Regents that students' sincerely held religious beliefs shall be reasonably accommodated with respect to scheduling all examinations and other academic requirements. The Board of Regents adopts this chapter in order to ensure that all institutions of the University of Wisconsin system have in place appropriate mechanisms for ensuring the reasonable accommodation of student's sincerely held religious beliefs, and for appeals related to these matters.


  1. A student shall be permitted to make up an examination or other academic requirement at another time or by an alternative method, without any prejudicial effect, where: 

    a.         There is a scheduling conflict between the student;s sincerely held religious beliefs and taking the examination or meeting the academic requirements; and

    b.         The student has notified the instructor, within the first three weeks of the beginning of classes (within the first week of summer session and short courses) of the specific days or dates on which he or she will request relief from an examination or academic requirement. 
  2. Instructors may schedule a make-up examination or course requirement before or after their regularly scheduled examination or other academic requirement.
  3. Instructors shall accept, at face value, the sincerity of students' religious beliefs.

Safety and Health Policy

The University of Wisconsin System will provide and maintain adequate facilities for a safe and healthy learning environment. It is the University's responsibility to work with faculty and staff so that they are equipped to educate their students on practices and procedures that ensure safety for all members of the University. Employees with instructional responsibilities are expected to comply with state and federal safety laws and regulations in their institutional areas.

Certain courses and research projects require that the students work with hazardous materials while engaging in academic studies. Instructors of these courses and research projects shall inform and train students on procedures that will maintain the students' personal health and safety and provide them with information on the hazards of specific chemicals that will be used during their course of study. Furthermore, instructors will enforce and follow safety policies. Prior to use of hazardous materials and equipment, the student shall review the procedures and information, and discuss any associated concerns with the instructor.

Access to Public Records

The archivist has been designated by the chancellor as the custodian of all public records maintained at UW-Superior. Normal office hours are 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Requests for records should be made directly to the designated custodian during normal office hours or by mail addressed to Laura Jacobs, Jim Dan Hill Library, University of Wisconsin-Superior, (715) 394-8343 . Records which are readily available will be provided promptly.

If an extensive search is required, the person making the request will be notified of costs when they reach a level of $50 or more. Copying charges are 5 cents per page. If copies of records are to be mailed mailing, processing and copying charges will be made. Should the total charge exceed $5, the charges must be prepaid.

Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number

Federal law (20 U.S.C., Section 12-32g.) allows the UW System to request and use the Social Security number for routine record keeping and institutional statistics. It may be used in connection with necessary billing and collection efforts which may include disclosure to federal, state, or local agencies; to private parties such as relative, present and former employers, business and personal associates; to guarantee agencies; to educational and financial institutions; to credit bureaus and collection agencies and to agency contractors in order to verify your identity, determine program eligibility and benefits, permit servicing or collecting of a debt, enforce the conditions or terms of a debt, counsel you in repayment efforts, investigate possible fraud and verify compliance with any relevant program regulations, and locate you in the event you become delinquent in the repayment of a debt.

If you intend to apply for financial aid, the Social Security number is required. As applied to financial aid, it may be used for a number of purposes, including verification of the identity of the borrower or recipient and as an account number throughout the life of a loan; determination of program eligibility; certification of enrollment and student status; determination of eligibility for deferment, cancellation or repayment by third parties; determination of eligibility for disability or death claim; and -- in cases of delinquent or defaulted loans -- for tracing the borrower and collecting.

Use and Disclosure of Racial/Ethnic Information

The U.S. Department of Education requires the University to report the number of students in various racial and ethnic categories. Your cooperation in furnishing accurate information is appreciated.

Racial and ethnic heritage information will be treated as confidential and will not appear on academic records, grade reports, class lists or transcripts. Individual student racial and ethnic information will not be supplied to persons outside the UW System, unless the student gives prior written consent. Within the university system, individual student racial and ethnic information will be released only by approval of the chancellor or a designee of the chancellor.

Use and Disclosure of Disability Information

In accordance with federal law, "The information requested will be used solely in connection with the UW System's remedial action obligations or its voluntary action efforts; ... the information is being requested on a voluntary basis and will be kept confidential; ... refusal to provide it will not subject the applicant to any adverse treatment and ... it will be used only in accordance with this part." Release of group disability information will be controlled by a University policy concerning release of student information.