2012-14 Undergraduate Catalog
Xingbo Li, Assistant Professor
The Chinese program introduces students to the Chinese language and Chinese culture. The various courses offered enable students to lay the groundwork for fluency in Chinese and to enhance practical language skills for specific career purposes.
Students may complete a Chinese Language Minor or may elect to submit for approval a Chinese Studies major in conjunction with Fudan University in Shanghi, China, or Peking University in Beijing, China, which will provide a Chinese immersion experience.
The Chinese program seeks to educate students to become more effective participants in the global community by promoting international and ethnic awareness and sensitivity to other cultures.
21 total credits
Chinese Required Courses (12 credits required):
(Any or all of the above courses can be reduced or eliminated by earning a grade of B- or higher in the next higher course. For example, a student who completes a 300-level Chinese course with a grade of B- or higher will receive retro-credits to his or her transcript for CHIN 101, 102, 201, and 202 for a total of 12 retro-credits in Chinese.)
Chinese Elective Courses (9 credits required):
- Demonstrate proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing of the target language.
- Explain aspects of the target language culture, including differences from their own cultures.
- Understand how learning a foreign language positively impacts learning in other academic disciplines.
- Identify similarities and differences between the target language and their native languages.
- Demonstrate the importance of using the foreign language within their communities.