2014-16 Graduate Catalog
History of UW-Superior
UW-Superior traces its roots to 1893, when state legislators established Superior Normal School to train teachers. The institution grew steadily, becoming Superior State Teachers College in 1926 and granting its first bachelor's degree. Graduate programs were added following World War II.
The college assumed university status in 1964. In 1971 it became part of the University of Wisconsin System and assumed its present name. In 1998, UW-Superior was designated Wisconsin's Pubic Liberal Arts College by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.
UW-Superior's enrollment is approximately 2,700 students. Most come from cities throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota, but the campus community also includes students from many other states as well as countries around the world. They enjoy a student-to-faculty ratio of approximately 14:1. About 90 percent of our faculty and teaching staff hold the highest degree available in their fields.
Along with traditional campus programs, UW-Superior offers a variety of learning programs to meet the varied needs of people in Wisconsin and around the country. Our Distance Learning Center enables people to complete a bachelor's degree from their homes. The Center for Continuing Education offers a wide array of courses and certificate programs that make university expertise available to people throughout the region.