Guidance and Counseling Program Top of Page

The University of Wisconsin-Superior, through the Guidance and Counseling Program of the Educational Leadership Department, offers professional training which leads to a Master of Science in Education Degree (M.S.E.) in Guidance and Counseling. The program is designed for those individuals who seek advanced professional training in various occupations in the fields of Counseling. There are four tracks within the program, Clinical Mental Health Counseling (LPC or LPCC), School Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy and Human Relations. Each track is an integration of academic foundations and professional skills training and is directed at developing a qualified and specialized professional. In order to accommodate working adults, the Guidance and Counseling Program run on a semester rotation: Fall, Spring, and Summer.

Admission Requirements

Admission to the Guidance and Counseling Programs begins with application for admission to Graduate Studies online at For information call (715) 394-8295 . In addition to the application to the Office of Graduate Studies, the application for admission to the Guidance and Counseling Program must contain:

  1. Resume and Letter of Intent addressing: 1. Service to community 2. Volunteer work 3. Commitment to others 4. Work and professional goals 5. Areas which the applicant considers to be his or her strengths or weaknesses.
  2. Three letters of reference (one or two academic letters from post-secondary instructors and one or two employment letters) that speak to the candidate's ability to succeed in graduate school.
  3. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
  4. An undergraduate degree in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Education, or related social science with a GPA of 2.75/4.0 or higher. Students admitted as probationary must complete nine semester credits of introductory Counseling courses at the Graduate level with a GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher to gain unconditional admittance to the program.
  5. Pass a Criminal Background Check.

Please contact the Graduate Studies office to obtain admission packets specific to each degree.