Financial Aid

About Financial Aid Top of Page

UW-Superior offers a variety of financial aid programs to assist students with their educational goals. During the 2014-2015 aid year approximately $21.8 million was awarded through federal, state and university sources to provide scholarships, grants, loans, and waivers,along with work study earned, to undergraduate students. Specific information can be found at

Financial aid is available to most students and limited to educational costs. These costs include fees, tuition, books and supplies, room and board, transportation, and miscellaneous personal expenses. To receive financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly called FAFSA, at

Students whose aid applications are finalized by the financial aid priority date will receive the first consideration for aid. Aid applications completed after the priority date will receive aid packages as funds are available. Students must re-apply each year.

To be eligible for most financial aid, students must be enrolled as a degree-seeking or teacher certification student at least half time; this is six credits per semester for undergraduates. They also must maintain satisfactory academic progress and comply with Selective Service registration, among other requirements.

Students enrolled less than half time may be eligible for financial aid on a limited basis according to current regulations. Students should be aware that satisfactory academic progress for financial aid differs from academic standards for enrollment in the university.

Grants, scholarships and fellowships that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books and required educational equipment and supplies are considered to be taxable income and you may be required to pay taxes on it. For additional information contact a tax advisor.

Educational Costs Top of Page

These are estimated costs used by the Financial Aid Office to determine financial need for each academic year. Actual current costs are available from the UW-Superior Bursar/Cashier's Office located in Old Main, Room 208. Estimated tuition, fees, housing and meals costs for 2016-2017.

Tuition and Fees

(Based on full-time enrollment September-May):

  • Wisconsin Resident Tuition and Fees: $8,088
  • Minnesota Reciprocity Tuition and Fees: $8,588
  • Nonresident Tuition and Fees: $15,660

Indirect Educational Costs

(Individual circumstances affect these costs. Contact the Financial Aid Office):

  • Books and Supplies: $950
  • Off or On-Campus Room/Board: $6,590
  • Travel: $1,760
  • Miscellaneous Personal: $1,800

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for Financial Aid Top of Page

A student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward a degree to receive financial aid, including loans. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress will result in the student having his/her financial aid suspended. A student who has been suspended by the Financial Aid Office may file a petition to have his/her financial aid reinstated (see the Appeal Procedure below).

The UW-Superior SAP Policy has two components, Grade Point Average (GPA) and Pace of Completion Rate.  The Grade Point Average (GPA) component is the same as the requirement for academic standard (see below). Students who are suspended due to failure to meet GPA requirements will be notified by the Registrar's Office. When academic reinstatement occurs, financial aid reinstatement will automatically occur, only as it pertains to GPA.  The Financial Aid Office monitors Pace of Completion at the end of Summer College only. The Financial Aid Office will notify students if they have not met Pace of Completion.   Those students will need to file a Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement with the Financial Aid Office. (Note: It is possible that at the end of second semester a student may be required to file an appeal with both the Registrar's Office, due to GPA, and the Financial Aid Office, due to Pace of Completion.)

Grade Point Average Standards (Same as the Academic Standards)

Academic Probation: Students are placed on academic probation whenever their:

  1. Cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0 for undergraduates; 3.0 for graduates, or
  2. Semester grade point average is less than 1.66 regardless of the cumulative grade point average for undergraduates; semester GPA is less than 3.0, regardless of the cumulative GPA for graduates.

Undergraduate students on probation must earn a 2.0 semester grade point average the following semester to move to good standing (3.0 for graduate students).  If students fail to earn a 2.0 semester grade point average (3.0 for graduate students) while on probation, they will be suspended. Once the cumulative grade point average improves to 2.0 or above (3.0 for graduate students), students are no longer on probation.

Transfer students accepted with less than a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (3.0 for graduate students) from all previously attended institutions will be admitted on academic probation.

Suspended students readmitted by the Credits & Reinstatement Committee are readmitted on academic probation.

Academic Suspension: The University reviews the academic records of all students at the end of each term. Students that have previously been on probation  are placed on academic suspension if their semester grade point average is less than 2.0 (3.0 for graduate students).

Students suspended for failure to maintain academic good standing are declared ineligible to continue to enroll during any fall or spring term. Suspended students may attend classes during Summer College without being readmitted, but will not be eligible for Financial Aid.

Pace of Completion Standards

There are two components to Pace of Completion: Credits Attempted vs. Credits Earned, and Progression through Program. Transfer students are assumed to be making satifactory progress upon entering UW-Superior (i.e., financial aid suspension at another institution does not carry forward).

The obtaining of a degree, with the exception of an associate degree, automatically reinstates the student's eligibility for financial aid.

Credits Attempted vs. Credits Earned

Incompletes and drops with Withdraw (W) grades after the 10th day of a class (shorter for courses that are less than a full term) are counted as attempted credits but do not affect GPA. Remedial credits are counted as attempted credits, and affect GPA. Repeated courses are counted as attempted credits as many times as the course is repeated. Example: A student repeats a previously failed three credit class with a passing grade. Thus, the student has attempted six credits and earned three. If both attempts of the class result in two grades of "F:, then the student has attempted six credits but earned zero credits. Financial aid may be received for repeat coursework as many times as necessary to pass the course, if SAP is met. Financial aid is allowed for only one repeat for a course in which a passing grade has previously been earned. For GPA purposes, a repeated course grade replaces the prior grade.

Attempted credits are credits enrolled in on the tenth day of class, credits added after the tenth day of class, and posted transfer credits.

Credits attempted successful are credits earned.  The successful completion of credits attempted is credit for which a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, P, or IP is received, and all posted transfer credits.

Suspension will occur when credits attempted vs. credits earned falls below 67%

Ex. Credits Earned/Credits Attempted = Pace of Completion (must be at or above 67%)

Students reinstated on probation (see appeal procedure below) will be given an Academic Plan and monitored at the end of each payment period.  If the Academic Plan is not met, suspension will occur.  Students who meet the conditions of their Academic Plan will remain on probation until the required completion rate is met.

Progression Through Program (Maximum Timeframe)

Students may receive financial aid for no more than 150% of the published length of the currently enrolled academic program, measured in credits.  For example, a student's academic program is 120 credits. Financial Aid my be received for no more than 180 credits. When pursuing a second degree, the 150% rule may be appealed.

A student who completes the academic requirements for a program but does not yet have the degree or certificate is not eligible for further financial aid for that program.

Appeal Procedure

Students who do not meet the above policy standards may be considered to be making satisfactory progress, evaluated on an individual basis, if there are mitigating circumstances such as: the death of a relative of the student, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances.

A student has the right to submit a petition to the Student Financial Aid Review Board explaining the mitigating circumstances that prevented the student from meeting the standards of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. If the first petition is denied, the student can submit a second petition. There are no personal appeals and the decision of the Student Financial Aid Review Board is final.

The Board generally meets the week prior to the start of classes each term. Other meetings are scheduled on an as needed basis. Students may contact the Financial Aid Office for current information on meeting times.  The results from actions of the committee will be emailed to the student following the meeting. It is possible that the Board may recommend a more aggressive Academic Plan for the student, which must be in place before aid will be reinstated.

This policy is under review at the time of publication. Please visit for any changes.

Refunds and the "Return of Title IV Funds" Policy

When a student withdraws or is expelled from school and has been awarded federal financial aid, per federal law, a portion of that awarded aid may be required to be returned. The amount to be returned may come from the institution, the student, or a combination of the two.  To determine who is responsible to return the funds to the federal government, two calculations are necessary.

Calculation 1: First, per the "Return of Title IV Funds" formula dictated by the federal government, the Financial Aid Office will calculate the amount of financial aid awarded to the student that must be returned to the federal government by the institution and the student, if the student withdraws prior to completing 60% of the term.  The federal formula is applicable to a student receiving a TIP grant, Pell grant, SEOG, Perkins Loan, Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, and Direct PLUS loans. The percentage of Title IV aid to be returned is equal to the number of calendar days remaining in the semester. Scheduled breaks of more than four consecutive days are excluded. Once this calculation has been performed, the Financial Aid Office will notify the Cashier Office of the amount the institution and/or student is required to return to the Title IV financial aid programs.

Calculation 2: The Cashier Office will then calculate the refund of institutional charges due the student per the University of Wisconsin refund policy mandated by the State.

Financial aid recipients are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to be advised of the impact of withdrawing from the university prior to initiating the process.

Consumer Information

Information required under the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, Title IV parts 668, 674, 675, 676, 682, 690, and 692 regarding, but not limited to, eligibility and criteria for receiving and availability of financial aid, total educational costs of attending UW-Superior and refund policies can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, Old Main 110, 715-394-8220 or

UW-Superior veteran enrollment requirements and standards of progress information are available from the Registrar's Office, Old Main 139, 715-394-8228 or

The University is required through state statute (Assembly Bill 431) to share statistics with current students concerning crimes on campus and reported campus incidents of sexual assault and date rape.  As required by law, this information is distributed annually to students through the UW-Superior website. In addition, federal laws, Student Right to Know Law and the "Campus Security Act" requires the university to inform prospective as well as current students of similar crime statistics and information on student graduation rates. This information is distributed annually to students through the UW System Introduction and UW-Superior website.

The University is required to provide annually to every student and employee information concerning the university's policies on illicit drugs and alcohol.  In compliance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act amendments of 1989, UW-Superior publishes and distributes this information annually.  Additional information is available on the university's website or may be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students Office at the Yellowjacket Union, 715-394-8244 or

Financial Aid Office Contact Information Top of Page

Financial Aid Office
University of Wisconsin - Superior
Old Main 110
Belknap and Catlin Ave.
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880
Phone: 715-394-8200