Office of International Programs

Mission Statement Top of Page

The Office of International Programs provides assistance and services to prospective and current international students at UW-Superior. (International students are defined as students who are not citizens or immigrants [permanent residents] of the United States). International students can get help with issues such as: application and admission procedures; adjusting to campus and community life; maintaining U.S. immigration status; employment and internships; medical insurance; taxes; and personal, cultural or academic issues.

The office also conducts new international student orientation, hosts cultural events, and advises the World Student Association.

The office also manages all study away programs including faculty-led short-term programs, semester and academic year programs abroad, and the National Student Exchange.

Admission Requirements for International Students Top of Page

Application Procedures and Requirements Top of Page

UW-Superior welcomes qualified students from other countries. The Office of International Programs is responsible for the admission of undergraduate international students. International applicants are encouraged to refer to the undergraduate international admissions website,, for updated information about the application process, requirements, costs, financial assistance and related information.

Undergraduate international applicants may apply to enroll as degree-seeking freshmen transfer (advanced standing) students or non-degree Special Students. International students who wish to enroll in undergraduate courses must submit the following:

  1. A completed international undergraduate student application and appropriate application fee.
  2. Official academic records for secondary and all post-secondary education. Official records must be submitted in their native language and, if not in English, must be accompanied by an official English translation. Official records should be sent to the UW-Superior Office of International Programs directly from the institution or examining board.
  3. Proof of English language proficiency (for students whose native language is not English). The requirement will be considered satisfied by any of the following: 1) a TOEFL score of 61 iBT (Internet-Based Test) or 500 PBT (Paper-Based Test), 2) an IELTS score of 5.5 or higher, or 3) successful completion of English 101 at an accredited U.S. college or university. See the international admission website for additional ways of satisfying this requirement.  See English as a Second Language section for related information and requirements.
  4. SAT or ACT score report. Students whose native language is English and who are under age 20 must submit an SAT score or an ACT score. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Non-native English speaking students and native English speaking students who are 20 or older are encouraged to submit SAT or ACT exam results if available.
  5. Documentation of sufficient financial support to live and study full-time at UW-Superior. Financial verification is required before the university will issue the U.S. government form, Form I-20, necessary to obtain an F-1 student visa or to transfer from another U.S. institution.

Freshmen and transfer students who have not taken a mathematics or English course at an accredited U.S. institution are required to take the UW-Superior math placement test and English or ESL placement test, as appropriate, before enrollment or as early as possible during the first semester. The English placement test may not be required if an ACT or SAT score is submitted.

Admitted international students who wish to enroll must pay an enrollment deposit, as described in their letter of admission. This deposit will be applied to the costs of the first semester of attendance.

Conditional Admission for Non-Native English Speaking Students Top of Page

International students who meet all requirements for undergraduate admission except for English proficiency may apply for conditional admission. Conditionally admitted students attend an intensive English language school until they have met the UW-Superior English proficiency requirement. Students who wish to apply for conditional admission must submit the items indicated above, except verification of English proficiency, and the application materials required by the intensive English language school they choose to attend. Conditionally admitted students will be eligible for standard admission to UW-Superior after they have submitted proof of English proficiency and updated documentation, which must be received at least three weeks prior to the start of the semester.  Students may satisfy the English proficiency requirement through coursework at the following English language institutes:

English as a Second Language (ESL) Requirements Top of Page

ESL Placement Exam

Students whose first language is not English who submit English proficiency scores in the following ranges are required to take the UW-Superior ESL placement test prior to the beginning of their first semester.

TOEFL iBT: 61-79
TOEFL PBT: 500-550
IELTS: 5.5-6.0

International students whose score falls above these ranges, or who score at least 450 on the SAT critical reading section or at least 18 on the ACT English section, are required to take the UW English Placement Test (EPT) prior to their first semester.

Four ESL courses are offered at UW-Superior:

Reading Academic Texts -- 3.00 credits
Writing for Academic Purposes -- 3.00 credits
Listening to Academic English -- 2.00 credits
Speaking for Academic Purposes -- 2.00 credits

Credits earned in the courses listed above count toward graduation and are part of the student's cumulative GPA.

Students are placed into appropriate ESL course(s) based on their ESL placement test results. Students who are required to enroll in ESL courses also take one or more appropriate undergraduate credit-bearing courses during their first semester.


Immigration Procedures Top of Page

Advisors trained in immigration regulations assist students in maintenance of lawful F-1 Student Status including such matters as full-time enrollment and good academic standing, obtaining Social Security cards, and authorization for off-campus employment including both Curricular and Optional Practical Training.

Insurance Requirements Top of Page

The University of Wisconsin System requires all F-1 students to have illness and accident insurance coverage. This requirement is for their protection because medical care in the United States is very expensive. If a student does not have adequate insurance coverage, one serious illness, injury or catastrophic medical emergency could mean financial ruin. In such a case a student would almost surely have to return home, which would mean the end of his/her educational dreams in the United States. UW-Superior offers an affordable international student accident and sickness insurance policy underwritten by AIU. With few exceptions, all international students are required to enroll in the UWS international student health insurance program. Please contact before purchasing any other insurance. Otherwise, a student may end up having to pay for two plans.

Please note that the UWS policy covers illness and accidents only. It does not cover routine physical examinations, sports examinations, routine vision or dental care. We strongly recommend that students take care of these needs in theirhome country before coming to UWS, or while they are home during University breaks.

The requirement to purchase our UWS insurance policy can be waived ONLY for students who provide proof of national health insurance from their home country that meets or exceeds the policy offered through UW-Superior.We cannot accept coverage from other U.S.-based insurance providers.

If you believe that your policy meets or exceeds the university coverage, you must complete and sign a waiver form and give us a copy of your valid policy enrollment card NO LATER THAN THE END OF THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES. We will not read through your policy searching for the required information.It is your responsibility to study your policy to determine the coverage level.

Study Away Top of Page

Study Away is experiential learning at its best! Time spent overseas, or on another National Student Exchange (NSE) campus in the US, will open a window to the world that broadens students' international and intercultural awareness. To function effectively in the increasingly global economy, U.S. students need to acquire new perspectives, knowledge and skills to succeed. Study Away brings a fresh perspective to career choice and human relationships. Each student returns home a changed person able to see the world through new lenses.

UW-Superior offers numerous short-term and semester/academic year opportunities for students to study in other countries or on other NSE campuses while receiving course credit at the University. Information about Study Away programs is available from at

All credits earned through any Study Away program are listed on the official UW-Superior transcript and are used to calculate UW-Superior cumulative GPA.

Financial Aid for Study Away Top of Page

In nearly all cases, students' financial aid eligibility will transfer for study abroad, and they may be eligible for additional funding through grants, scholarships, and loans. Our staff provides coaching in applying for scholarships such as the Benjamin Gilman.

Faculty Led Programs Top of Page

Short-term programs led by faculty members are offered to a variety of destinations including Bali, Bosnia, China, France, Ghana, India, Mexico, Scotland and Spain. New programs are developed on a regular basis. These programs which travel in January or May range from 3 to 9 credits and all include a pre-course during the semester before departure. Requirements and program fees vary so please check with the program staff at for more information.

Wisconsin in Scotland Top of Page

The Wisconsin in Scotland (WIS) aka Experience Scotland, program is an amazing experience that offers virtually limitless opportunities for educational and personal growth. It is an opportunity full of challenges, new experiences, and great rewards and a chance to live in a Scottish castle/palace!

The Wisconsin in Scotland program is a facet of the West Central Wisconsin Consortium (WCWC), under the authority granted by the UW Board of Regents. UW-River Falls, UW-Stout, UW-Superior, UW-Parkside, UW-Whitewater, UW-Colleges and Normandale Community College offer participation in the WIS program to their students and faculty members. Students can participate for either one semester or for the summer program.

Courses are taught by faculty from the participating universities. There are also courses offered by British adjunct faculty during the fall and spring semesters. All courses are designed to take advantage of the Scottish setting. Fall and spring semester students are required to enroll for a minimum of 15 or 12 credits, respectively. Summer participants are required to enroll for a minimum of 3 credits. During the semester program, there is the opportunity for independent study/directed study courses and/or internships with home campus approval. The semester program allows time for independent travel with a 10-day break and several long weekends. The summer program allows three days of travel/exploration most weekends. Many cultural activities are included in each program. Information is at

Other Study Abroad Programs Top of Page

UW-Superior has bi-lateral exchange agreements with the Global Village Program at Yonsei University, Wonju, South Korea Carl von Ossietzky University, Oldenburg, Germany; and participates in the Wisconsin-Hessen Exchange with several institutions in Germany.

A semester long experience Experience China set in beautiful Hangzhou provides a rich, cultural immersion with the comfort and safety of an organized and well-staffed international learning community. As a student in the Experience China (ExC) program you will participate in a directed study of Chinese culture alongside your general education courses.  The relationship between the United States and China has been described as important not only for the citizens of our two countries, but also for a new era of global development. Position yourself on the leading edge of this new era by immersing yourself in the historic, diverse, and complex culture of China with the ExC program.

Students desiring an immersion experience in Spanish study at the Center for Interdisciplinary Education, CIME, in Costa Rica where a variety of internship experiences are also possible and host-family homestays provide terrific opportunities for language practice.

Art majors will find a special niche at SRISA, the Santa Reparata International School of Art in Florence, Italy.

Teacher Education majors enjoy the many opportunities to student teach abroad or in other parts of the U.S. through the Educators Abroad Program.

In addition to programs sponsored by UW-Superior, UWS students can participate in programs offered by sister institutions within the University of Wisconsin System.

National Student Exchange Top of Page

Spread your wings and fly away on The National Student Exchange, a consortium of over 180 universities in the United States, our territories and Canada! To date, UW-Superior students have exchanged to campuses in 22 states, Puerto Rico and 5 Canadian provinces.

The NSE Program has been compared to a domestic study abroad program.  Instead of crossing oceans, however, NSE students cross state, regional, provincial, and cultural borders to take courses not available on their home campuses, expand their academic program options, reside in a different region, be exposed to diverse cultural settings, seek out graduate and professional schools, and explore career options. The changes seen in student attitudes, understanding of other people in other settings, maturity, risk-taking, and decision-making are similar to the experiences of students who study internationally.

NSE is an unbelievable bargain! Our campus participates under Plan B in which a participating student pays tuition and fees at UW-Superior just as if he or she were here, but all housing, meals, and other costs are paid at the host university. Most scholarships and financial aid will apply as usual.

Contact Information Top of Page

University of Wisconsin - Superior
Belknap and Catlin Ave.
P.O. Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880