History of UW-Superior

UW-Superior traces its roots to 1893, when state legislators established Superior Normal School to train teachers. The institution grew steadily, becoming Superior State Teachers College in 1926 and granting its first bachelor's degree in Education. Graduate programs were added following World War II.  In 1951, the Board of Regents changed the institution's name to Wisconsin State College-Superior to better reflect its broader role.

The college assumed university status in 1964 and was renamed Wisconsin State University-Superior. In 1971 it became part of the University of Wisconsin System and assumed its present name. In 1998, UW-Superior was designated Wisconsin's Pubic Liberal Arts College by the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents.

UW-Superior's enrollment is approximately 2,600 students. Most come from cities throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota, but the campus community also includes students from many other states as well as countries around the world. They enjoy a student-to-faculty ratio of approximately 1:1 and 18 students is the average class size, allowing for the opportunity to work closely with faculty who are leaders in their fields.

Along with traditional campus programs, UW-Superior offers a variety of learning programs to meet the varied needs of people in Wisconsin and around the country. Flexible and affordable online learning options enable people to complete a bachelor's or master's degree from their homes. The Center for Continuing Education offers a wide array of courses and certificate programs that make university expertise available to people throughout the region.