Fund Development Management and Leadership
Using a donor-centered approach, this day-long seminar focuses on the role of management and leadership in the resource development process. Topics include: strategic development, ethics, values, relationship building, and creating a fund development plan. We will look at managing and operating the fund development process and providing leadership to staff, volunteers and board members. Participants will discover how personalization and engagement of donors is critical to fund development. The following topics will be included:
- How the development plan fits into the strategic plan
- Components of a communication plan
- Creating the case: the elevator speech, the dinner party speech, the airplane seat speech
- Finding, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding constituency.
- Making the "ask."
- Organizing and managing the process, infrastructure, governance, volunteers
- Developing legal/ethical Gift acceptance and acknowledgement policies
- Handling difficult situations (For example, an unwanted gift, donor micromanagement, or broken promises/unfulfilled pledges.)
- Evaluating the plan, people and performance
This workshop is recommended for individuals who have some experience in fund development and want to improve strategies, policies and techniques.
Instructor: Reid Zimmerman