Dean of Academic Affairs
Greetings and welcome! As UW-Superior’s Dean of Academic Affairs it is my honor to introduce you to the many outstanding undergraduate and graduate learning opportunities that are available both on campus and online through the University of Wisconsin-Superior.
As many of our current 2,500+ students from more than 50 countries and thousands of successful graduates have discovered since our campus’ founding in 1893, UW-Superior truly lives up to its name and reputation. We are dedicated to offering exceptional, affordable, flexible, and accessible programs and degrees that prepare our students for life-long learning, successful careers, and fulfilling personal and professional lives.
What makes UW-Superior a truly superior educational opportunity?
- High-quality classes that are taught by distinguished professors (over 85% of whom possess the highest degrees in their disciplines) who are genuinely focused on engaging students in active, high-impact learning activities that foster intellectual growth and career preparation within a well-rounded liberal arts tradition.
- Optimal class sizes that provide each student with guidance from professors and academic advisors who focus on the unique goals and needs of each person, emphasizing individual attention, embodying respect for diverse cultures and multiple voices, and providing multiple opportunities for students to effectively engage with others in our local and global communities.
- Access to over 50 high-demand master's, bachelor's, and associate degrees offered on campus and online, making it possible for students from around the region, state, nation, and world to achieve a highly-regarded University of Wisconsin education that is inspiring, challenging, affordable, convenient, and highly-respected.
- A diverse global campus community that proudly welcomes more than 225 students and 25 faculty and staff members from over 50 countries and First Nations, making UW-Superior the second most "international campus" by percentage in the UW System after UW-Madison. UW-Superior students also benefit from many educational study away programs to further broaden their awareness and understanding of national and world cultures and issues.
- Valuable "High Impact Practices" in teaching and learning that provide undergraduate students unlimited opportunities to optimize their content knowledge, communication skills, creative and critical thinking, and individual and social responsibility through:
- First Year Seminars and Experiences
- Academic Service Learning Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities with Faculty and Staff
- Writing across the Curriculum Programs
- Global Awareness Experiences
- Integrated Senior Year Seminars and Capstone Projects
- High-demand, forward-focused graduate degrees (online and on campus) that offer masters-level students applied and integrated learning goals that promote:
- Mastery of the content, skills, methods, and knowledge appropriate to their discipline.
- Ethical leadership and social responsibility opportunities will benefit their chosen profession and society through socially responsible leadership and service.
- Advanced communication skills in sharing diverse perspectives and professional knowledge using modes of communication appropriate to the discipline.
- Scholarly inquiry and application experiences that provide opportunities to engage with knowledge, think critically and imaginatively, formulate their own understanding, and communicate their ideas.
As UW-Superior’s Academic Dean, I am honored to collaborate with my exceptional UW-Superior colleagues who are united by a visionary shared goal: to assist each and every student as they strive to become more educated and empowered life-long learners who are truly prepared to excel and succeed in in achieving rewarding and successful lives and careers.
Please do not hesitate to contact me any time if you would like to discuss UW-Superior and our exceptional academic programs. I look forward to hearing from you!
Dr. Dean Yohnk, Ph.D.
Professor of Communicating Arts
Dean of Academic Affairs