Complaint Contacts for States

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education's Program Integrity Rule, the University of Wisconsin-Superior is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering online learning or correspondence education within that state.

All UW-Superior students must first use UW-Superior's internal complaint or review policies and procedures through the Associate Dean for Online Learning or Office of the Provost prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies. See the UW Complaint Process for further information on these procedures.

If no resolution is reached, then the student may file a complaint with the Wisconsin Online Learning Authorization Board at the UW System Student Complaints page, or by email to  For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of this agreement, or of laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements Policies and Standards, have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), of which UW-Superior is a member.

The states below are not part of the SARA agreement. Please see each state for their accreditation requirements:

California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818