Environmental Health & Safety Home Page
The Environmental Health and Safety (EH & S) Program provides assistance and guidance to the campus community in safety, environmental health, and some environmental compliance programs on the UW-Superior campus. The program has strong ties with the offices of the Campus Safety, Risk Management, Human Resources and Worker Compensation.
Services provided by the EH & S Office include:
- Occupational Health and Safety Training
- Development of Health and Safety Related Policies and Programs
- Indoor Air Quality investigations
- Chemical Hygiene Officer (as required by the OSHA Laboratory Standard)
- Monitoring hazardous chemical exposures
- Noise monitoring & exposure
- Evaluation of ventilation systems for contaminant control
- Industrial Hygiene services
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Fire Safety
- Safety inspections
- Accident report investigations
- Asbestos management
Interaction with Students
Health and safety is necessary for everyone - including students. Campus Safety, Residence Life and the Environmental Health and Safety offices all work together to make sure that the living and learning environment is safe for everyone.
A minimum of two student employee openings are available each year in the Environmental Health and Safety program. Students will be able to apply the knowledge they have acquired or will acquire in the sciences or community health programs to real life situations. Student workers assist with hazardous waste management, indoor air quality investigations, employee training, air monitoring for hazardous chemicals and material safety data sheet management, along with other duties. Interested individuals should contact Dan Laughlin.
Internships are available in the EH & S program through cooperating academic departments. Undergraduate interns work with the industrial hygienist and gain valuable on-the-job experience. This experience is helpful in deciding if the safety or industrial hygiene field is a good "fit" as a career choice.