- Do not co-mingle sealed and unsealed envelopes. Our postage machine tears open sealed envelopes when it is in sealing mode and creates jams.
- Keep flaps folded down on envelopes. We can only seal #10 business size envelopes.
- When sending out business reply envelopes make sure your name or department is on the envelope.
- Please include your correct department, room number or your name on incoming mail. Anything addressed to just UW-Superior may be opened or delayed while we determine where to forward the mail.
- If you move to a new department, let the mailroom (via email or written notice) and your new department know ASAP. Also inform your sender of your address change.
- When sending anything out with the postage imprint already on it (non-profit org. U.S. Postage PAID permit No. 231 Superior, WI), it needs to either be part of a bulk mailing or placed in an envelope.
- Bulk mailings require at least 200 pieces or weigh 50 pounds. Contact the mailroom for more detailed information.
- Library rate only applies to books, not letters.
- Keep international mail (including Canada) separate from your regular mail.
- Be sure to include the destination country.
- Allow a clean area in the upper right hand corner of letter or package measuring at least 3 ½ in. by 1 ½ in for postage. (No tape, writing, addresses…)
- Include a return address on all outgoing mail.
- We will not put postage on personal mail.
- Letter size is not more than: 11 ½ in. long or 6 1/8in. high or ¼ in. thick and weigh less than 3.5 ounces.
UPS or FedEx
- For any UPS and FedEx shipments including international: No post office boxes (physical address only).
- Include phone number and email of recipient. If this is not included we will use your contact information
- Include a contact person for your department that we may contact if we have questions.
- If shipping any hazardous/flammable material, the package must be marked and contents labeled.
- When sending out FedEx (in order to schedule a same day pick-up) we need to notify FedEx by 1:00 p.m. Anything arriving in the mailroom after this time will need to wait until the next business day to be sent out.
- We can ship alcohol through UPS or FedEx but the contents must be clearly marked on the box.
- We do not leave mail or packages outside locked offices. Contact the mailroom for delivery to another office or you may pick up your package up at the Service Center.
- Make sure the department you want charged for the postage is included in the return address area of the envelope or you may attach a post-it-note with the information.
- If students are ordering for your department they should include your department and/or name in the order. If they do use their name, let the mailroom know. There have been times we have had to contact students (and wait) to see where a package goes.
- We cannot run tri-fold paper brochures through the postage machine. They need to be in envelopes to have the postage imprinted.
- Do not overstuff your envelopes. Good rule of thumb: if you can't easily seal the envelope without using tape-we can't either.
- If the envelope is too thick it would be processed as a flat or parcel instead of a letter, thus costing more in postage.
- Any international mail that qualifies as a parcel must have customs papers attached. If you have not filled this out we can, but we must know what is in the package and approximate value. (Example: educational materials = $0; t-shirt+ $10)
- Please let the mailroom know in advance if your office is planning on sending out a large amount of mail (letters or boxes) so we can more easily accommodate your pick-up.
- In general, bulk mailings will not be processed on the same day they arrive in the mailroom due to staff availability. Please allow at least 3-5 business days.
- We do not redeliver packages. If you intend for them to go to a different area please have that specified in the shipping address when you place your order or call the mailroom.
- If you work in more than one department please let the mailroom know where you want your mail delivered.
- The university mailroom is not open on weekends.