For more information, contact the Director of Environmental Health & Safety at 394-8073 or the Facilities Management office at 394-8120 .

You can help make an environmental difference!

State law requires the university to recycle almost all products. By participating in the university's recycling efforts, you play an important role in keeping valuable and re-useable materials out of landfills.

Containers for recyclable materials are available in campus buildings and residence halls.

Faculty and staff are responsible for recyclables at their desk locations and for bringing recyclables to the designated centralized containers.

UW-Superior's Recycling Guide

Updated April, 2009

By participating in the university's recycling efforts, you play an important role in keeping valuable and re-useable materials out of our landfill.We all need to get involved and do our part, so feel free to remind students and colleagues of our recycling policy.

Note:Recyclable materials from home must be recycled at home.

What can be recycled?


  • Button batteries
  • Small sealed lead acid batteries
  • Lithium and lithium ion batteries
  • Nickel metal hydride batteries
  • Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd) batteries
  • All other battery types, except standard alkaline

Note: Alkaline batteries no longer contain mercury and do not pose a health or environmental risk during normal use or disposal. Please put them in the trash.

Instructions: Ask the vendor if free battery recycling is provided when purchasing the replacement battery. If the vendor does not provide free recycling, cover the terminals (ends) of the batteries with clear package tape, then place them in a zip-type plastic bag and deliver to the Environmental Health and Safety Office. Please include your name and department along with the battery. Recycling of automotive batteries and large UPS batteries must be arranged with the vendor where the replacement battery was purchased. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at ext. 8073 for additional information.

Cell Phones and Pagers

Remove SIM card and personal information, and drop them off in recycling bins at Campus Safety.


  • #1 thru #7 plastics
  • Aluminum cans and clean foils
  • Glass bottles (clear, brown, and green); no broken glass, please
  • Metal food cans, empty & rinsed
  • Empty and dry paint cans

Instructions: Please empty the containers first and rinse them if at all possible. Also remove all caps, rings, and pumps and throw them in the trash.


  • Styrofoam food containers and packing materials as well as plastic bags and plastic packing materials cannot be recycled and must go in the trash.
  • Plate glass, Pyrex glass, and ceramic containers are not recyclable. Place in a solid box, tape shut, and deposit in the trash. Contact Environmental Health and Safety at ext. 8073 for metal cans, bottles, or other containers that held toxic substances, laboratory chemicals, or art materials.

Hazardous Waste

For guidance on how to manage hazardous materials such as latex and oil based paints, brush cleaners, aerosol cans, art products, paint thinners, cleaning products, photo chemicals, lab or studio waste, biohazards, mercury containing equipment, etc., contact Environmental Health and Safety at ext. 8073.

Light Bulbs and Lamps

  • Fluorescent bulbs, including compact fluorescent bulbs and lamps
  • Incandescent lamps
  • Halogen lamps
  • Pressure sodium vapor and HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps

Instructions: Place the burned out bulb in the sleeve/box from the new bulb, then give it to the building custodian for recycling.

Paper Products

  • White and non-white paper
  • Index cards and cardstock
  • Magazines and newspaper
  • Books and phone books
  • Paper wrappers from reams of paper
  • Posters
  • Shredded paper
  • Regular envelopes (windows OK)
  • Brown bags/envelopes
  • Brown package wrap
  • Gray paper from packaging
  • File Folders
  • Gray board, flattened (for example, tissue boxes and pencil boxes)

Corrugated cardboard/cardboard boxes: break down boxes and set them aside for custodians to remove. Please do not leave cardboard boxes in the hallway. This has become a habit for many, but it's aesthetically displeasing - especially for potential students and their families. Just tell the building custodian where you will store these items and they will remove them promptly.

Confidential materials must be shredded. If you have a shredder in your office, shred all confidential documents before placing them in the recycle bin. If you don't have a shredder, you can place them in a covered box and call Facilities Management at ext. 8120 for pick up.

Any paper or cardboard containing food cannot be recycled (for example: pizza boxes).

Print Cartridges

  • All ink jet cartridges
  • laser jet cartridges
  • photocopier toner cartridges

Instructions: Check the box the cartridge came in for recycling instructions. If there are no instructions, place the old printer or toner cartridge in the box from the new cartridge, seal it, and send to Stores (in Facilities Management) for recycling. Ink jet cartridges may come with instructions and a mailer for recycling. If no mailer was included, shipping bags are available at Technology Services, Swenson Hall 2100.

Special Handling

For items such as refrigerators, microwaves, lab equipment, computer equipment, telephone equipment, video equipment, and so forth, contact Facilities Management at ext. 8120 for pickup.