Current Students FAQs

Jump to Topic:
  • To receive a federal student loan, you must first file a FAFSA. 

    Learn more about Loans for Undergraduate Students.    

  • Yes. Information regarding training opportunities will be forthcoming.

  • UWS employees who are health practitioners, social workers, law enforcement officers, child care providers, and counselors must report if the employee has reasonable cause to suspect that a child seen by the person in the course of professional duties has been abused or neglected or who has reason to believe that a child seen by the person in the course of professional duties has been threatened with abuse or neglect and that abuse or neglect to the child will occur. A UWS employee who is a mandatory reporter under Wis. Stat. § 48.981(2)(a) must comply with the requirements of the state mandatory reporter law and is not subject to the requirements of Executive Order #54

  • An employee making a report in compliance with Executive Order #54 may not be discharged from employment, disciplined or otherwise discriminated against in regard to employment, or threatened with any such treatment. In addition, anyone may report child abuse or neglect and state law provides that any person or institution participating in good faith in the making of a report shall have immunity from civil or criminal liability.

  • Executive Order #54 does not contain any penalties for failing to report child abuse or neglect. However, failure to report that results in a child being subjected to additional harm could be the basis for a civil negligence action and it is a criminal misdemeanor to fail to report a crime or render assistance where a crime is being committed and the victim is exposed to bodily harm. Additionally, if an individual is a mandatory reporter under existing state law, failure to report may result in up to $1,000 in fines and/or imprisonment of not more than 6 months.

  • Currently, the Wisconsin mandatory reporter law requires certain persons such as health practitioners, social workers, law enforcement officers, child care providers, counselors, school teachers and administrators, and, more recently, all school employees, to report child abuse and neglect. University of Wisconsin System employees are generally not mandatory reporters of child abuse and neglect under state law. Executive Order #54, however, makes all University of Wisconsin System employees mandatory reporters of child abuse and neglect.

  • A person with knowledge of child abuse or neglect must report to the county department of social services or the county department of human services, or to the county sheriff or city, village, town, public university or college police department. In a county having a population of 500,000 or more, a person may also report to the county department of social services, the county department of human services, or a licensed child welfare agency under contract with the county department of social services or the county department of human services. Reports of alleged child abuse or neglect should be made to the county where the child or the child’s family resides. To contact the appropriate county department of social/human services, you may go to the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families.

  • Executive Order #54 states that child abuse or neglect must be reported immediately in person or by telephone. However, a Wisconsin court determined that a preliminary investigation to verify the allegations before reporting may be appropriate. Such preliminary investigation must be prompt.

  • Wisconsin law defines “neglect” as “failure, refusal or inability on the part of a caregiver, for reasons other than poverty, to provide necessary care, food, clothing, medical or dental care or shelter so as to seriously endanger the physical health of the child.”

  • Wisconsin law defines “abuse” of a child to include any of the following:

    (1) Physical injury inflicted on a child by other than accidental means. “Physical injury” includes but is not limited to lacerations, fractured bones, burns, internal injuries, severe or frequent bruising or great bodily harm.

    (2) Sexual intercourse or sexual contact with a child under §§ 940.225, 948.02, 948.025, or 948.085.

    (3) Sexual exploitation of a child.

    (4) Permitting, allowing or encouraging a child to violate the statute prohibiting prostitution.

    (5) Causing a child to view or listen to sexual activity.

    (6) Exposing genitals or pubic area to a child or exposing a child’s genitals or pubic area.

    (7) Manufacturing methamphetamine with a child present, or in a child’s home (including the premises of a child’s home or in a motor vehicle locates on the premises of a child’s home), or under any other circumstances in which a reasonable person should have known that the manufacture would be seen, smelled, or heard by a child.

    (8) Emotional damage for which the child’s parent, guardian or legal custodian has neglected, refused or been unable for reasons other than poverty to obtain the necessary treatment or to take steps to ameliorate the symptoms.

  • For purposes of child abuse and neglect, a “child” is a person who is less than 18 years of age.

  • UWS employees must report if an employee, in the course of employment, observes an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, or learns of an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, and the employee has reasonable cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur. This includes abuse or neglect that occurs off campus and/or at a child’s home, if a UWS employee observes or learns about it in the course of his or her employment.

  • Executive Order #54 states that all employees of the University of Wisconsin System including professors, administrators, coaches, and others must report child abuse and neglect. Therefore, all full-time and part-time employees, including faculty, academic staff, classified staff, and student employees must report child abuse and neglect. The existing mandatory reporter law requires health practitioners, social workers, law enforcement officers, child care providers, and counselors, among others, to report child abuse and neglect.

  • Summer College Important Dates

    Session I (Full Session):
    May 24 - August 6, 2021

    Session II - 8 Weeks:
    May 24 - July 18, 2021

    Session III:
    June 14 - July 18, 2021

    Session IV (Collaborative):
    June 1 - August 13, 2021

    Registration Dates:

    Admitted students (undergraduate and graduate) may begin registering online through My E-Hive on Monday, March 29, 2021.

  • Summer College Important Dates

    Session I (Full Session):
    May 24 - August 6, 2021

    Session II - 8 Weeks:
    May 24 - July 18, 2021

    Session III:
    June 14 - July 18, 2021

    Session IV (Collaborative):
    June 1 - August 13, 2021

    Registration Dates:

    Admitted students (undergraduate and graduate) may begin registering online through My E-Hive on Monday, March 29, 2021.

  • Your records are protected under FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).

    You have the right to restrict your directory information. (If you wish to restrict your information, you must file the Student Request to Restrict Directory Information form by September 15 or your name, address, phone and e-mail will be published in the campus directory.)

    The people who can access your records are those who, by virtue of their position, have a "need to know." For example, Your advisor has a need to know and so, he/she has access to your information.

    For further information, see the Registrar's website.

  • Yes, to some extent. UW institutions may bar individuals from carrying firearms in campus buildings by placing signage at each entrance of campus buildings, including residence halls and athletic facilities, and inserting contractual provisions to leases or residence hall contracts. To prohibit firearms within a campus building, the institution must place a sign (at least 5 inches by 7 inches) in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign. An appropriate sign should contain the following language such as: "Firearms Prohibited in Building."

  • Previously, any individual who knowingly possessed a firearm on school grounds or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school was guilty of a Class I felony. The law retains this rule, except that possessing a firearm within 1,000 feet of school grounds is now subject to a Class B forfeiture, and licensed individuals may carry a concealed firearm within 1000 feet of school grounds but not on school grounds. Although certain campus buildings may fall within a school zone, campuses should adopt a uniform signage protocol regardless of the applicability of the gun-free school zone rules so that campus expectations are clearly communicated.  

  • While instructors may wish to notify students that firearms are not permitted in class if the class is held in a building in which signage is posted at the entrances, notice from an instructor does not relieve the campuses of the responsibility to post signage at each entrance of the building stating that people are not to enter or remain in the building while engaging in the concealed carry of any firearm.

  • Parking passes/permits are sold at the Parking Services office located in the Public Safety Building, 606 Belknap ST.  We are right next to the Ole Haugsrud Stadium and Crownhart Hall.

    View Parking passes/permit types, parking fees, parking maps, parking regulations, and instructions on how to get or replace a permit.

  • Chartwells provides an excellent dining experience at the University of Wisconsin-Superior. Please see their menu and hours of operation.

  • Yes, provided that the weapon remains in the vehicle. The provision that allows campuses to bar firearms from buildings does not apply to firearms in vehicles that are driven on campus or into parking facilities on campus, therefore, the concealed carry law effectively permits students, employees, or others to carry firearms or other weapons in his/her vehicle.

  • 2011 Wisconsin Act 35 takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication. Therefore, the law will not become effective until November 1, 2011. There are some sections that take effect on the day after publication (July 23, 2011) or July 1, 2011, the most noteworthy of which are the amendments barring enforcement of state citations for disorderly conduct, and municipal citations of any kind, for the act of carrying a firearm in an open or concealed manner. These provisions are effective July 23, 2011, and are important because they prevent state and local law enforcement from charging an individual for carrying a firearm even before it is legal to engage in concealed carry.  These provisions do not, however, apply to the enforcement of UWS 18, and UWS 18.10(3) remains in effect. 

  • An appropriately licensed individual is permitted to carry a gun, electric weapon (e.g., taser), billy club, and a knife other than a switchblade.

  • You should contact the local campus police department or local law enforcement and report the incident.  Be prepared to provide the police or dispatcher with a description of the person, the type of concealed weapon, and the area where he/she was last seen. No matter what, do not place yourself or others in danger or harm's way.

  • Yes, if the UW institutions take affirmative steps to eliminate, or limit, concealed carry in the residence halls with appropriate signage and contractual provisions.  

  • Yes. The law does not exempt any higher education institutions. The UW specifically requested that the legislature exempt colleges and universities from the law, but the legislature declined to insert the requested provision. The law does, however, contain special provisions allowing colleges and universities to take action to prevent people from carrying firearms in campus buildings.

  • Applying to UW-Superior

    Bias Incident

    Comprehensive Examinations

    Counseling Services




    GEARS Mentors

    General University Info



    Online Learning

    Passwords and User Accounts

    Registration and Advisement


    Reverse Transfer


    Software and Resources

    Student Employment

    • Part-time employment with flexible scheduling. Student employment helps students finance their education and provides opportunities to gain experience and develop skills for their future success in the career world.

    • Visit Handshake - student job opportunities are posted on Handshake, and this link will bring you directly to the Handshake login.  If you're looking for guides and video tutorials regarding Handshake, or additional information and resources on resume and cover letter reviews, visit the Handshake page in Career Services.

    • There are a wide variety of positions on campus, as well as a few available off campus. Some examples of previous positions include:

      • Front Desk Work; answer phones, walk-ins, assist in day-to-day office functions
      • Facilities Attendant; prepare for various events (athletic/intramural/concerts/etc.), assist with set-up, take-down, and clean-up after events
      • Researcher; assist a department with their research needs, conduct experiments, assist cataloging findings
      • Note Taker; take notes in the classes you’re already taking to be utilized by other students
      • Student Supervisor; assist the department in scheduling coverage, running the program, approving other student employee’s time, etc.
    • The biggest differences between these two terms:

      • Eligibility; work study is only available to students who have been offered and accepted the work study in their Financial Aid Offer
      • Funding; work study and student assist are charged to departments differently, this DOES NOT affect your pay-check
      • Off Campus Opportunities; there are a few positions available for off-campus employment through student employment – these positions are for students who have been offered and accepted the work study in their Financial Aid Offer

      Work study:

      • Available for students who were offered work study on their Financial Aid Offer; based on the completed FAFSA.
      • Eligible to work on or in off-campus work study positions (Superior School District, Superior Public Museum, Boys and Girls Club)

      Student Assist:

      • Available for all students
      • Eligible to work on-campus only
    • As soon as you are registered at least at half-time status (6.00 for undergrads) you can begin applying for a student employee position.

    • Once you are student employee eligible – registered at half-time status or more:

      Apply for position(s) you’re interested in
      Most positions on Handshake require a Resume and/or Cover Letter

      Interview for the position
      Career Services is a great resource for Interview tips

      Get hired for the position

      Contract and New Hire paperwork
      The contract process will be initiated by your supervisor. Follow-up email and communications regarding new hire paperwork and required signature requests will come from the Student Employment office (via email).

      Complete required paperwork
      The contract will be processed, and an email indicating the official start date will be sent to the supervisors and student employee from the student employment office.

      Required Trainings and Self-Service
      In the “start date” email you’ll receive from the student employment office, there will be links for required trainings, and how-to instructions for setting up your direct deposit and completing your W-4/WT4 information. Complete these as soon as possible to ensure you are paid correctly and on time.

    Student Tax Reporting Information - 1098-T

    Superior Challenge Ropes Course

    Teaching License

    Technology Helpdesk


    Tuition and Bills

    Writing Center