FAQ List

Faculty/Staff FAQs

Jump to Topic:
  • What are the rates?

    Indirect cost rates represent costs that cannot be directly linked to a specific grant proposal because they represent shared costs, such as utilities and office support. For example, costs will be incurred to keep the lights and heat on in buildings where grant activities take place; however, these items are shared by everyone at the institution and are not direct or exclusive to the grant work.

    There are two rates; both are based on the total salaries, wages, and fringe benefits being requested in the grant or contract proposal:
         On-Campus Rate (7/1/2016 - 6/30/2020):  55.5%
         Off-Campus Rate (7/1/2016 - 6/30/2020):  18%

    How do I know which rate to use?

    Off-Campus = Work at facilities not owned by UW-Superior and where rent is allocated in the proposal budget.

    Only one indirect cost rate may be used per proposal.
    If greater than 50% of proposal work will occur off-campus, use the off-campus rate.

    Where do the rates come from?

    These rates are federally negotiated through the US Department of Health and Human Services. It is the policy of UW System to recover the federally negotiated indirect cost rate from all agencies that are legally bound by that agreement and from all other federal, state, and private funding sources that will reimburse the University at the negotiated rate.

  • Each grant must have its own cost center. After you receive notification of a funded proposal, contact Julie O'Leary, your Pre-Award Grants Administrator for your cost center approval form. Before starting your grant activity you will need to sign the form and set up a meeting to review the roles and responsibilities of both the Business Office and the Principle Investigator. Contact Shaun Marshall post-award Grant Administration to arrange for this meeting.

  • Please refer to the Travel Office webpage for official travel information.

  • Please contact the Financial Aid Office for information regarding student wages.

  • What are the rates?

    These rates include UW-Superior's contribution to retirement, health insurance, FICA and Medicare FICA, unemployment compensation, workers' compensation, income continuation insurance, and life insurance.

    Fringe benefit rates are applied when requesting external funding to pay salaries.

    How do I know which rate to use?

    Fringe benefit rates vary by employee type.

    Classification of Salaries 2017-18 Rate

    • Faculty and Academic Staff 43%
    • University Staff 43%
    • LTE 8%
    • Project and Teaching Assistants 8%
    • Research Associates and Interns 8%
    • Post Doc Fellows 8%
    • Ad Hoc Program Specialists and Undergraduate Assistants 10%
    • Student Employees 1.5%

    Where do the rates come from?

    Fringe benefit rates are set by UW System. See a benefit category cost breakdown.

  • Signing Officials

    When submitting a grant proposal, it is on behalf of UW-Superior. The following individuals are authorized to sign. Submit your grant proposal and forms to the Office of Grants and Research and we will gather required signatures. Allow five business days for securing internal routing. Allow ten business days for the office to complete a full review of your proposal.

    Business Office Contacts

    Cost Centers

  • Wisconsin State Legislature: Senator Janet Bewley, Wisconsin State Senate, website, (608) 266-3510

    Representative: Nick Milroy, Rep.Milroy@legis.wisconsin.gov, Wisconsin State Assembly, website, (608) 266-0649

    US Congress/US Senate: Senator Ron Johnson (website) and Senator Tammy Baldwin (website)

    US House of Representatives: Sean Duffy (website)

    Congressional District: Seventh State Senate District: 25 Assembly District: 73

  • Applicant organization is in all cases:

    Applicant Legal Name:  The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System on behalf of the University of Wisconsin-Superior

    NOTE: The Principal Investigator is not the official applicant and is not authorized to accept awards or enter into contracts for The Board of Regents.

    Address:  Belknap & Catlin, P.O. Box 2000, Superior, WI 54880 

    Grants and Research Office Address:  Grants and Research Office, Old Main 103, Superior, WI 54880

    UW-Superior Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number:  076483353 (Note: to be used only with external grants)

    UW-Superior Employer Identification Number (FEIN or TEIN):  39-1805963

  • Computers, Phones and Other Devices




    Helpdesk Resources


    • You are going to want to do this under the Groups tool. Here's how to get to the correct screen to make these group forums/topics:

      1. In the course you want to work in, click on the Communications drop-down menu in the navigation bar and select the Groups link.
      2. Click on the name of the group you would like to edit.
        Note: You might have to use the "View Categories" dropdown menu to find the group you want to work on.
      3. Click on the "Edit Discussions Restrictions" link in the Additional Options area.
      4. Click on the "Automatically create restricted topics" link.

      To create new topics in an existing forum, click on the "Add Another" button for the forum listed on the dropdown menu. If you have several topics that you want each group to post messages to within that forum, you will need to click the "Add Another" button for each one you want to create. I recommend changing the titles for each set as you make them to avoid mixing the group topics up. Go to the Discussions area, click on the drop-down menu to the right of the topic name and select the Edit Topic link. Add a more descriptive title, but keep the "Group 1" or "Group 2" in the title as well so you will know which group is which (ex. Project Brainstorming Group 1, Project Brainstorming Group 2 or Case Study Group 1, Case Study Group 2, etc.).

      If you need to create multiple forums as well as group topics (ex. week 1, week 2, week 3, etc.), click on the New Forum link next to the Forums dropdown menu. Once you have named the new forum, save it and then click the "Add Another" button for this forum. Keep doing this until you have the number of forums and group topics you need.








    Passwords and User Accounts

    Phones and Voicemail

    Software and Resources


    • Turnitin abides by a strict privacy policy to protect sensitive data. Student information and papers are secured digitally through industry-standard SSL encryption and physi­cally through stringent security mea­sures at Turnitin's server facilities. Turnitin does not require student names to be associated with submitted papers. Upon request from the institution, a specific paper can be removed from the database.

      The Turnitin service complies with FERPA, COPPA and copyright laws and requirements.

    • Since July 2006, UW-Superior has used Turnitin to help instructors improve their students' critical thinking and composition skills as well as check for improper citation or potential plagiarism. It also protects our students' original work from being used without citation by another person, and serves as a learning tool to help instructors and students better identify and correct unintentional plagiarism.

    • Instructors can submit students' papers electronically to Turnitin or create a Dropbox folder in Learn@ UWSuperior that allows the students to submit the papers. The papers are checked against the database to determine the originality of the work. A report comes back with a score indicating how likely the paper is to be original work, including the sources of matches found. If the matching source is determined to be from a paper authored by another student, the instructor may then request a copy of the original paper to review. The instructor who is reviewing the paper would seek permission from the instructor whose student's work was listed as a source. Permission must be granted before the paper is released. The Turnitin service does not govern the release of the student's work; it just facilitates the connection between the instructors.

    • Turnitin is a web based service that creates unique digital "fingerprints" of each document submitted to the system. These fingerprints are compared with others in the database for originality. The system also uses information from academic resources, online encyclopedias, news agencies, and other sources likely to be used for plagiarism.

    University of Wisconsin – Superior Foundation, Inc.

    Workers' Compensation

    • You may choose any physician, chiropractor, psychologist, podiatrist or dentist licensed in the state. You may choose any doctor for your care. If you later select a second doctor, you must notify the UW-Superior Office of Human Resources.

      Key Steps in Worker's Compensation

      If you are hurt at work or become ill because of what you think is work-related exposure:

      • Immediately report your accident or ailment to your supervisor. Continue to keep your employer informed about any changes in your injury.
      • Seek first aid and medical attention.
      • Remember that delays can affect not only your health, but also possible compensation benefits.

      UW-Superior will then report to UW System, who will report it to the Workers' Compensation Division. You do not have to file a claim yourself if you reported the injury.

      Your medical costs will be paid. If you miss more than three days of work and are found eligible, you will receive compensation for lost wages. Workers' Compensation also provides benefits to dependents of workers who die after work-related accidents.

      If your injury or illness is compensable:

      • You will get a check from the State of Wisconsin on your normal payroll date.
      • There is a three-day waiting period. However, if you are off work more than seven days, you will receive compensation for the first three days after the injury date, excluding Sunday. Any additional compensation for a permanent disability, such as an amputated limb, will be determined later, after you return to work or the healing period ends.

      It is important that you make every effort to return to work, within medical restrictions, as soon as possible after an injury. UW-Superior and your doctor must agree to your returning to some form of work; it is important that you talk to them about returning. If you cannot return at all because of your accident, other options may be available.

      In an emergency, UW-Superior may arrange for your treatment until you are able to choose your own doctor. UW System has the right to have you examined occasionally by a doctor of its choice. Your compensation may be delayed if you do not agree to have these examinations.

      You have the right to every type of treatment which is reasonable and necessary to cure you, as ordered by your doctor. This includes hospitalization, therapy, tests and prosthetic devices. Medicine is paid for, as is any reasonable travel expense necessary to receive treatment.

    • All employees of UW-Superior are covered by workers' compensation law. This includes Student employees, Limited Term Employees, Permanent and Project Classified Employees, Academic Staff and Faculty.

    • The law covers both mental and physical injury from either accidents or occupational diseases.

      If you are required to travel, you are covered at all times while traveling, including the time you are eating or sleeping, unless you deviate from regular work duties for a private or personal reason.

      Generally, workers' compensation must be paid even if the injury was your fault. (See section relating to increased or decreased compensation.)

      All compensation and medical payments are based on medical reports from your doctor. If your doctor does not make prompt and regular reports to the insurance company or your employer (if self-insured), your payments may be delayed. Explain this to your doctor.

      If UW System, who is self insured, refuses to make payments, they must notify you within 14 days after it receives notice of the injury that it is investigating your claim. They must explain the reason(s) for refusing payment and inform you within 7 days of its decision of your appeal rights.

    Writing Center