What is a Compromise?

Your employer or the insurance company may ask you to sign a written agreement to settle your case. This is called a compromise.

If there is valid dispute over the amount of disability or whether an injury is work-related, you and UW System may decide to settle your claim. All compromises must be approved by the Division to make sure they are reasonable. Before signing a compromise it is important that you understand what future benefits you may be giving up. After you agree to a compromise, it is legally very difficult to change it. Normally, you will not receive additional compensation beyond the amount of the compromise.