Workers' Compensation FAQs - UW-Superior
Skip Navigation

Workers' Compensation FAQs

Workers' Compensation

  • UW System is required to pay your medical expenses and mileage. If you paid any of your medical expenses, send itemized receipts to the UW-Superior Human Resources Office, for reimbursement, or if you receive any bills for payment.

    UW System may challenge a health care provider's fee as unreasonable or treatment as unnecessary. If so, it may refuse to pay the charge in question and must notify the provider of the dispute. Once a provider receives notice of a dispute about fees or treatment, the provider may not ask you to pay the bill. If you receive a bill for treatment when such a dispute exists, please contact the UW-Superior Human Resources Office.

  • You may choose any physician, chiropractor, psychologist, podiatrist or dentist licensed in the state. You may choose any doctor for your care. If you later select a second doctor, you must notify the UW-Superior  Human Resources Office .

    Key Steps in Worker's Compensation

    If you are hurt at work or become ill because of what you think is work-related exposure:

    • Immediately report your accident or ailment to your supervisor. Continue to keep your employer informed about any changes in your injury.
    • Seek first aid and medical attention.
    • Remember that delays can affect not only your health, but also possible compensation benefits.

    UW-Superior will then report to UW System, who will report it to the Worker's Compensation Division. You do not have to file a claim yourself if you reported the injury.

    Your medical costs will be paid. If you miss more than three days of work and are found eligible, you will receive compensation for lost wages. Worker's Compensation also provides benefits to dependents of workers who die after work-related accidents.

    If your injury or illness is compensable:

    • You will get a check from the State of Wisconsin on your normal payroll date.
    • There is a three-day waiting period. However, if you are off work more than seven days, you will receive compensation for the first three days after the injury date, excluding Sunday. Any additional compensation for a permanent disability, such as an amputated limb, will be determined later, after you return to work or the healing period ends.

    It is important that you make every effort to return to work, within medical restrictions, as soon as possible after an injury. UW-Superior and your doctor must agree to your returning to some form of work; it is important that you talk to them about returning. If you cannot return at all because of your accident, other options may be available.

    In an emergency, UW-Superior may arrange for your treatment until you are able to choose your own doctor. UW System has the right to have you examined occasionally by a doctor of its choice. Your compensation may be delayed if you do not agree to have these examinations.

    You have the right to every type of treatment which is reasonable and necessary to cure you, as ordered by your doctor. This includes hospitalization, therapy, tests and prosthetic devices. Medicine is paid for, as is any reasonable travel expense necessary to receive treatment.

  • You must report the injury to your employer within two years to qualify for worker's compensation. If the injury is reported or a payment is made within two years, the claim is usually held open by law for 12 years from the date of the injury or the date of last payment to you, whichever is later. This can be important if your condition changes during this time. In the case of an occupational disease, such as an occupational hearing loss, carpal tunnel, etc., there is no time limit for filing a claim. It is important to save your records of the last payment for 12 years.

  • If an employer has not followed a state or federal safety order and an injury results, the employer must pay 15 percent increased compensation, up to a maximum of $15,000. This is in addition to any other compensation. Payment is due even if the employee's carelessness caused the injury.

    If you believe that you should be paid increased compensation because your employer did not observe a safety order, you may apply for a hearing and must prove that your employer was at fault.

    If a worker fails to follow published and enforced safety rules, compensation may be decreased by 15 percent, but not by more than $15,000.

    Double or treble compensation may be due for injuries to minors who do not have valid work permits. It is the UW Superior's responsibility to make sure that minors have valid working permits.

  • Some workers may not be able to return to the same type of work they did before injury or illness. Keep in contact with your employer and your doctor to see if you can return to work early on a restricted basis, perhaps in a modified job if necessary. This could help ease you back into working again.

    If your doctor or employer indicates that you cannot return to your former job, you may contact the insurer to request assistance from either public or private vocational rehabilitation services. One resource is the State Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), which has offices throughout the state (see your local telephone directory under State of Wisconsin, Department of Workforce Development). General questions about your claim should be addressed to the UW Superior Office of Human Resources, or UW System,, or the Worker's Compensation Division. For further information, call the WC Division at  266-1340 "> (608) 266-1340 ">(608) 266-1340  .

    If you do not have a job at the end of your healing period (temporary total or partial disability), you may apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits by calling 1-800-822-5246.

  • The law does not guarantee a job after an injury, and the employer is not required to hold one open or create one. However, up to one year's back pay may be due if an employer "unreasonably refuses" to rehire an injured worker. Employees who believe they have been so refused may request a hearing.

  • Your employer or the insurance company may ask you to sign a written agreement to settle your case. This is called a compromise.

    If there is valid dispute over the amount of disability or whether an injury is work-related, you and UW System may decide to settle your claim. All compromises must be approved by the Division to make sure they are reasonable. Before signing a compromise it is important that you understand what future benefits you may be giving up. After you agree to a compromise, it is legally very difficult to change it. Normally, you will not receive additional compensation beyond the amount of the compromise.

  • If you hire an attorney in a disputed case, you can be charged only up to 20 percent of the amount the attorney obtains for you. You will also have to pay for your attorney's costs. The fees and costs will be deducted from your payments. Your county bar association may be able to recommend an attorney who is experienced in worker's compensation.

  • If there is a dispute over your claim between you and UW System, that cannot be settled by talking it over, you may request the Division to resolve it by holding a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge and issuing an order.

    You may file an application for a hearing if your employer does not report your accident, or if you believe you can prove that you did not receive all your benefits. You must have medical proof of your claim. This proof is the written opinion of a physician, chiropractor, psychologist, podiatrist, dentist or surgeon. Send the medical report with the application.

    You should contact UW Superior/UW System before applying for a hearing to find out exactly what is disputed.

    You may request the forms to apply for a hearing by contacting any of the Division offices, or you may obtain these forms from the Division of Workforce Development (DWD) website. You will also receive additional written information explaining the hearing process.

  • After you have healed as much as possible from your injury, your doctor will determine if you have any permanent disability.

    For a permanent disability, you will receive additional compensation of up to $262 weekly. Benefits are paid monthly, not in one lump sum.

    A specific number of weeks of compensation is paid for the loss of a finger, hand, arm, leg, foot, eye, etc. This compensation is paid in addition to the compensation paid during the healing period. Different amounts of compensation are due for the loss of different parts of the body.

    If there is no amputation, but there is pain or loss of motion or strength in a limb, then fewer weeks of compensation are paid. For example, 10 percent disability at the shoulder would equal 10 percent of 500 weeks of compensation, or 50 weeks.

    Some other kinds of permanent injuries are compensated in a different manner that involves a determination of future wage loss.

  • In most cases, the first payment will be made on your next normal payroll date.

    If your payments later stop, or if you have any other problem, contact the UW Superior Office of Human Resources to find out the reason. If you need more help, contact the Division. You may cash compensation checks and sign receipts without any fear of losing any of your legal rights.

  • During the time you are healing from your injury, you will get two-thirds of your weekly wage up to $805 a week.

    Payment is made on the basis of a six-day workweek, Monday through Saturday, regardless of the number of days a week you actually work. This means that your daily payment is one-sixth of your weekly payment. For example, if you are eligible for just three days of compensation, you will receive three-sixths of your weekly rate.

    There is a waiting period before benefits can be paid. The waiting period is the first three days, excluding Sunday, after the accident. You do not receive compensation for these three days if you are disabled only during the first three days. If you are disabled for any time beyond the seventh day, you will receive compensation for the first three days. Worker's compensation is never paid for the day of injury.

    The Division of Workforce Development reviews all benefit payments to make sure they are accurate. If you doubt that you are receiving the correct amount of compensation, please contact the Division.

  • All employees of UW-Superior are covered by workers' compensation law. This includes Student employees, Limited Term Employees, Permanent and Project Classified Employees, Academic Staff and Faculty.

  • The law covers both mental and physical injury from either accidents or occupational diseases.

    If you are required to travel, you are covered at all times while traveling, including the time you are eating or sleeping, unless you deviate from regular work duties for a private or personal reason.

    Generally, workers' compensation must be paid even if the injury was your fault. (See section relating to increased or decreased compensation.)

    All compensation and medical payments are based on medical reports from your doctor. If your doctor does not make prompt and regular reports to the insurance company or your employer (if self-insured), your payments may be delayed. Explain this to your doctor.

    If UW System, who is self insured, refuses to make payments, they must notify you within 14 days after it receives notice of the injury that it is investigating your claim. They must explain the reason(s) for refusing payment and inform you within 7 days of its decision of your appeal rights.