General eligibility requirements for most types of federal financial aid:
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at UW-Superior at least half-time as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
(International students may qualify for some aid)
- Possess a valid Social Security Number
- Agree to use federal student aid for educational purposes only
- Not be in default on any federal student loans or owe money back to any federal student aid programs
- Register with Selective Service, if required
- Meet UW-Superior's standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress.
To apply for financial aid:
- File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). A new FAFSA must be completed for each academic year.
- Be sure that you list UW-Superior as one of your college choices. The UW-Superior Title IV School Code is 003925.
- File your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1, 2017 for the 2018-2019 school year. UW-Superior's priority filing date is January 15, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year. Students whose applications are processed and completed by this date will receive the best financial aid package available to them. In order to have your application processed and completed by this date, we recommend that you file your FAFSA for the upcoming academic year by December 15, 2017. You can still file your FAFSA for the 2017-2018 academic year at fafsa.gov.
- If you are a transfer student, and have already filed the FAFSA for the current academic year, you do not need to file again. Instead, go to FAFSA, and select "Add or delete a school code". Add UW-Superior's school code; it is 003925. Your financial aid will not automatically transfer from one school to the next.
The Department of Education and the FAFSA have switched to a targeted verification system. With this switch, the federal processor will use a risk model to identify FAFSA data elements that are prone to error, which appear anomalous or which seem inconsistent. Only those FAFSA data elements flagged by the federal processor will be subjected to verification. The federal processor is likely to flag fewer than five data elements for most applicants, but some may have more than five data elements flagged.
We are required to verify the accuracy of the information you provided on your FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, you will receive a letter or email to your UW-Superior email account from us requesting:
- Dependent or Independent Verification Worksheets
- Prior year federal tax transcript (student and spouse if independent, student and parent if dependent) which can be acquired by visiting the I.R.S website or by calling 800-908-9946.
Additional information may be required and will be requested via email. Please check your UWSUPER email account regularly.
Study Abroad: In addition to the instructions above, fill out a Study Abroad Financial Aid Revision form, available from the Office of International Programs.
Computer Purchase: You may request your budget to be expanded for the cost of a computer by submitting an Administrative Request form. Generally, it will only be filled with additional loan money, if you are eligible. You may do this only one time during your career at UW-Superior.
Consortium Agreement: to be used if you plan to take a course at another institution because it is not offered here and is required for your degree.