Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

1. When can I apply for financial aid?

You can file your FAFSA online anytime after January 1st for the following academic year for 2016-2017. Beginning for the 2017-2018 school year, you will be able to file a FAFSA anytime after October 1.

UW-Superior has a priority deadline of March 15th. This means your FAFSA and all required documents must be complete in our office by that date to receive the best award package available.

We recommend filing no later than February 15th to meet the priority deadline. You can file your FAFSA at any time during the academic year and still receive aid for fall/spring term, however, your file must be complete with us no later than one week prior to the end of the last semester attended. You must file a new FAFSA for every academic year. Summer financial aid applications are separate and you must have filed a FAFSA out to receive aid for the summer session.

2. Am I eligible for aid?

Students who are U.S. citizens, or eligible non-citizens, enrolled at 1/2 time status or more, may qualify for financial aid. Some restrictions apply. Pell grant recipients may be eligible if they are less than 1/2 time. While it may be true that not all students qualify for grants (money which does not have to be paid back), all students who apply for financial aid and meet the general eligibility requirements are eligible for some type of financial aid, including loans. In addition, financial conditions within the family may change over the course of the year (ex. layoffs, divorce/separation, etc.) and aid may be adjusted to reflect the circumstances faced by the family.

3. Why did I get selected for verification?

The Department of Education reviews all submitted FAFSAs and selects some students for verification. This selection is partially random, but there are certain inconsistent answers that will also trigger verification. The school you attend may also select additional students for verification, based on their own criteria. It does not mean that you answered anything wrong. If corrections are necessary, they will be sent by the school and once verification is complete, your financial aid will continue to be processed.

4. How do I make corrections to my Student Aid Report (SAR)?

You may make corrections in one of two ways. You may make your corrections at the Dept. of Education's web page at - you will need your FAFSA ID to access your record. Or you may instead make your corrections on the paper SAR, sign it, and mail it in as directed, or bring it to our office for submission. If you are a dependent student and are correcting parental information, it will need to be signed by you and a parent. If you have any specific questions about the FAFSA, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800/4-FED-AID (800/433-3243) / TTY: 800/730-8913 or 319/337-5665.

5. How will I know when my financial aid has been awarded?

You should plan approximately 4 weeks processing time once we have your FAFSA information, with prompt submission of additional requirements from you. Awarding begins in March for the upcoming academic year. When you are awarded financial aid, along with additional instructions, new students will receive a paper financial aid award notification in the mail while current students will receive notification via email. You will also be able to view your financial aid award on your Student Center.

6. Why is my aid so different from last year?

Changes in family size, number in college, and family or student income are usually the cause of changes in aid from year to year. Specific reasons for aid changes can be provided through consultation with a financial aid counselor, who will review your file to compare the yearly income and demographic information.

7. When will my financial aid be available?

If your aid is in place, most aid will be disbursed directly to your student account. If there are funds left after your semester bill is paid, they will be distributed to you as a refund. Refunds are issued by activating your Refund Card, which is mailed to you after you are accepted to UW-Superior and registered for classes. Upon activation, you may choose one of two options to receive your refund: debit/checking account or ACH to your personal bank account. The option you choose will determine how quickly your refund will be available to you. Financial aid may be disbursed to your student account no sooner than 10 days before the beginning of a semester. Once you see that aid has been disbursed to your student account, a refund will be available as early 1-4 business days later, depending on your refund preference.

If you have further questions, please contact the Cashier's Office.

8. Why didn't my financial aid disburse?

You can see if your financial aid has applied to your student account by viewing your bill on your Student Center.  If your aid is in place, but did not disburse, it is likely due to one of the following reasons:

9. What if I drop a class, and/or drop below full-time? How does it affect my financial aid?

If you add or drop a class after school begins and your financial aid has disbursed, it will not be adjusted up or down. However, your progress (credits attempted vs. credits earned) is monitored, and dropping classes after the 10th day of the semester may have an effect on your eligibility for future financial aid, as explained in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP). If you withdraw from school or are administratively dropped (university drops you from a class based on non-attendance the first day of class), you may be required to pay back some or all of your financial aid, according to our Refund Policy.

10. How do I find scholarship information?

Your best source of scholarship information is your high school guidance office or the college you plan to attend. We have scholarship information listed on our Scholarship page. There are also many companies and/or individuals that claim they can find scholarships for you by searching national scholarship databases, for a fee. They often are not legitimate and should be used with caution.

11. How do I apply for summer aid?

To apply for summer aid, you must complete a Summer Financial Aid Application (available late Spring semester). This application, along with your FAFSA, and other required documents, must be received by the Financial Aid office no later than the deadline indicated on the form. Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, and can depend on the aid you have already received for the current academic year. This application is available in the UW-Superior financial aid office generally in March of every year. You must meet all other eligibility requirements to receive aid for the summer, including being enrolled at least half-time. Please pay attention to any noted deadlines.

12. Should I consolidate my student loans?

 A consolidation loan is a loan that allows a borrower to combine all eligible federal education loans into a new loan with a single payment. The interest rate will be fixed and length of repayment is contingent on your choice of repayment option. Consolidation loans may have advantages and/or disadvantages for you - for more information, please see our Consolidation Loans page.

13. Who is servicing my Direct Loan?

Direct Loans may be serviced by one of nine service centers. It is the goal of the Department of Education that all of your Direct Loans will have the same servicer. To find out who is servicing your loan(s), please log onto the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and view the individual loan(s). Each will list the servicer with their customer service contact information. Customer Service Centers include Direct Loan Servicing, Great Lakes, Nelnet, Fedloan (PHEAA), Sallie Mae, CornerStone, ESA/Edfinancial, Aspire, and MOHELA.