Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Updated May 2021

All students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward a degree to receive financial aid, including loans. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress will result in the student having his/her financial aid suspended. All periods of enrollment, including those in which a student does not receive financial aid, are assessed. A student who has been suspended by the financial aid office may file a petition to have his/her financial aid reinstated (see Appeal Procedure below).

The UW-Superior SAP Policy has two components, Grade Point Average (GPA) and Pace of Completion. Both GPA and Pace of Completion are reviewed at the end of Summer College for the purpose of Title IV aid and if the student does not meet both components at that time, they are placed on Financial Aid Suspension. The Financial Aid Office monitors SAP annually, at the end of Summer College only. The Financial Aid Office will notify students if they have not met SAP. Those students may file a Petition for Financial Aid Reinstatement with the Financial Aid Office.

Transfer students are assumed to be making satisfactory progress upon entering UW-Superior (i.e., financial aid suspension at another institution does not carry forward).

The obtaining of a degree, with the exception of an associate degree, automatically reinstates the student’s eligibility for financial aid.


Students are placed on financial aid suspension whenever their cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0 for undergraduates; 3.0 for graduates.

For SAP purposes, a repeated course grade does NOT replace the prior grade. ALL classes taken at UW-Superior are included when calculating cumulative GPA for SAP. Transfer credits included for GPA by the Registrar's Office are also included when calculating cumulative GPA for SAP.


There are two components to Pace of Completion: Credits Attempted vs. Credits Earned, and Progression through Program.


Attempted credits are: credits enrolled in on the census date, credits added after the census date, and posted transfer credits. Incompletes and drops with Withdraw (W) grades after the census date are counted as attempted credits. Remedial credits are counted as attempted credits. Financial aid may be received for remedial coursework only if it is required for degree. Repeated courses are counted as attempted credits as many times as the course is repeated. Only the most recent repeat of the course is counted as earned credits. Example: A student repeats a previously failed three credit class with a passing grade. Thus, the student has attempted six credits and earned three. If both attempts of the class result in two grades of “F”, then the student has attempted six credits but earned zero credits. Financial aid may be received for repeat coursework as many times as necessary to pass the course, if SAP is met. Financial aid is allowed for only one repeat for a course in which a passing grade has previously been earned.

Credits attempted successfully are credits earned. The successful completion of credits attempted is credit for which a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, P, or IP is received, and all posted transfer credits. Unsuccessful completion of credits attempted is credit for which a grade of F, W or I is received. If an I is converted to a passing grade, it then counts as successful completion.

Suspension will occur when credits attempted vs. credits earned falls below 67%.

Ex. Credits Earned/Credits Attempted = Pace of Completion (must be at or above 67%)


Students may receive financial aid for no more than 150% of the published length of their currently enrolled academic program, measured in credits. For example, a student’s current academic program is 120 credits. Financial aid may be received for no more than 180 credits, including transfer credits and regardless of changes in major or degree. When pursuing a second bachelor’s degree, 60 credits will be disregarded from the calculation. When pursuing a second master’s degree, 9 credits will be disregarded from the calculation. A student who completes the academic requirements for a program but does not yet have the degree or certificate is not eligible for further financial aid for that program.


Students who do not meet the above standards for GPA or Pace of Completion may appeal, due to mitigating circumstances including but not limited to: the death of a relative of the student, an injury or illness of the student, or other circumstances. A student has the right to submit a petition to the Financial Aid Reinstatement Committee explaining the circumstances that prevented the student from meeting the standards of the SAP Policy, why that will change, and how the student will again meet SAP. If the first petition is denied, the student may submit a second petition. If a second petition is denied, or a student chooses not to petition, they may regain eligibility by raising their cumulative percentage rate above 67, raising their GPA to the requirement, or by following the recommendation of the committee, if one is offered. There are no personal appeals and the decision of the Financial Aid Reinstatement Committee is final.

Submission deadline of appeal documentation is the 1st day of the last month of the term for which the student is petitioning (ex. December 1 for fall semester). In addition, if the student is submitting their appeal documentation after midterm of the term for which they are petitioning, current grades for each enrolled course are required.

Students who successfully petition for financial aid reinstatement will be reinstated on Financial Aid Probation and given an Academic Plan, which will be monitored at the end of each enrollment period. If the Academic Plan is not met, Financial Aid Suspension will once again occur. Students who meet the conditions of their Academic Plan will remain on that plan until the required completion rate and/or GPA is met.

The Committee generally meets the week prior to the start of classes each term. Other meetings are scheduled on an as-needed basis. Students may contact the Financial Aid Office for current information on meeting times. The results from actions of the committee will be emailed to the student following the meeting. It is possible that the Committee may recommend a more aggressive Academic Plan for the student, which must be in place before aid will be reinstated.