Alternative loans

If you determine that additional funds are necessary beyond your financial aid offer, and you wish to pursue an alternative loan, you may choose to explore:   


Alternative loans are available through loan institutions after other financial aid options are exhausted. 

Students should first apply for financial aid by filing the FAFSA, which is the application for federal and state aid. 

  • Once the alternative loan application has been certified by the Financial Aid Office, students should call the lender directly to inquire about the status of the loan.
  • Eligibility is usually limited by the UW-Superior Cost of Attendance minus other aid.
  • Interest accrues on all private student loans from the time of disbursement.
  • Interest payments (except SELF Loan) and principal payments are usually deferrable until the student graduates or is no longer enrolled at least half time.
  • Loan approval, fees, and insurance is determined by the lender based on credit history.
  • Each lender has various repayment incentives that should be considered when choosing an alternative lender. Interest rates and benefits may change on a quarterly basis and these loans may not be the most beneficial. 
  • Allow at least three weeks for funds to arrive at the school. 
  • Most private loans are now sent electronically. Loans that still come in paper check form by regular mail must be endorsed by the student at the Bursar/Cashier's Office. Students will be notified by the Financial Aid Office when an electronic disbursement or a paper check is received. 

If you need a Private Education Loan Self Certification form, you may request one from your lender of choice, or you may print a blank one. 

Read more information about the Truth in Lending Act.