Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Diploma Frames - How do I go about getting a frame for my diploma?

'Jacket Book and Supply has a wide variety of diploma frames available. You can stop in to the store at the Yellowjacket Union or find them online.

Cap and Gown - Where do I get my cap and gown for commencement?

Caps, gowns, and graduate candidate hoods may be purchased at the 'Jacket Book and Supply. Regalia must be worn by all students walking in the commencement ceremony.

Certificates - How do I apply for and receive a certificate?

Complete the certificate application and return it to the Registrar's Office. Applications can be found at the Registrars office and online.

Degree Honors - What are degree honors and am I eligible?

Degree honors eligibility is calculated using both resident GPA and transfer GPA. A student must earn the minimum GPA at each of the levels
of distinction: degree, major, second major or minor.

Commencement honor cords will be given to students who participate in the Commencement Ceremony based on the student's cumulative GPA (including transfer GPA plus UW-Superior GPA) based on the prior semester's cumulative GPA.

Honors posted on official transcripts will be based on the student's final cumulative GPA (including transfer GPA plus UW-Superior GPA) after all grades have been posted.

Honors cord categories are as follows:

  • Summa Cum Laude 3.85 to 4.00 GPA (black, yellow, and white cords)
  • Magna Cum Laude 3.60 to 3.849 GPA (yellow cords)
  • Cum Laude 3.40 to 3.599 GPA (silver cords)

NOTE: Degree honors and honors cords are only available for bachelor degree candidates.

Diploma - How do I receive my paper degree or diploma?

All diplomas are sent via U.S. Mail to the address indicated on your graduation application 4-6 weeks after the commencement ceremony in May or December. In the commencement ceremony, candidates for degree receive the diploma cover and also receive the actual diploma in U.S. Mail.

This does not apply to summer candidates. Summer diplomas are sent out via U.S. Mail 4-6 weeks after the last day of summer classes.

Graduation Fee - Do I need to pay a fee to graduate?

The graduation fee is now the senior fee and is assessed on student bills once senior status has been achieved. There are no additional fees for graduation.  The fee pays for the processing and printing of the degree and transcripts and other expenses related to graduation and commencement.

Handicap Access - Is there reserved seating and parking for handicapped individuals?

Yes. At the commencement ceremony, we have a section reserved for any individual who has a disability or needs special assistance. That individual and one attendant can sit with them in this section.

Honors Cords - Where do I get my honors cords from?

Candidates for bachelor degrees can pick up their honors cords at the Registrar's Office in Old Main 139 beginning 4 weeks prior to commencement. Athletic cords can be picked up in the Athletic Office in the MWC.

Hotels - Where could I have my family stay in the area?

Best Western-Bridgeview Motor Inn (715-392-8174) offers discounted rates to UW-Superior parents and families as well as alumni. The UWS Yellowjacket Club offers the following rates:

  • $49.00 Sunday - Thursday (valid September - May)
  • $69.00 Friday and Saturday (valid October 26 - May)
  • NOTE: some restrictions may apply

The Bridgeview provides the following for their guests:

  • Complimentary breakfast
  • Complimentary cocktail party Monday-Thursday during September-May
  • Indoor pool and hot tub
  • Fitness center
  • In-room high speed internet access
  • And much more

For other hotels in the area visit the Superior Douglas County Chamber of Commerce website at

Parking - Where can we park on commencement day?

For commencement, parking near Wessman Arena, Superior Senior High School, and adjoining city streets is available.

There is no fee for parking.

Photos - Is there a professional photographer at commencement? How do I get the photos?

Yes, GradImages provides professional photography services during commencement. The photographers take 3 candid shots of each graduating student and emails a notification to the student at the email address they provide to GradImages on the day of commencement.

Streaming Video - Is there a way to watch commencement on the web?

Yes, you can view commencement via streaming video provided by

Tassels - What color is the tassel I should wear?

Undergraduate Candidates:

You may wear the yellow tassel you received at the New Student Induction Ceremony during your first year at UW-Superior.
You can wear a black tassel purchased from the 'Jacket Book and Supply.

Graduate Candidates:

The graduate candidates tassels match the Master's Degree color that is on their hoods and are purchased with your regalia from 'Jacket Book and Supply.

Tickets - Does my family and friends need tickets to attend?  How many guests can I invite?

No, tickets are not required for commencement at this time. We ask that graduates invite no more than 6-8 guests.