McNair Scholars Program - TRIO
Get Ready for Graduate School!
The McNair Scholars Program at the University of Wisconsin - Superior prepares income eligible, first generation college students and students from groups underrepresented in graduate education for doctoral study. It is a nationwide program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, created in memory of Ronald E. McNair, Ph.D., an African-American physicist killed in the Space Shuttle Challenger mission in 1986.
Each year, 25 students are chosen to participate in the program's activities, which include seminars, cultural events, graduate school visits, and more. During the summer, 12 scholars participate in a paid individual research experience, working collaboratively with a faculty mentor on a project of interest to the student. Program participants also receive GRE preparation instruction and help in the graduate school application process.
Am I Eligible?
Are you a low income and first generation (neither parent has a Bachelor's degree) student?
(For more information on the income requirements please visit the Federal TRIO Programs Page)
Are you from a group that is underrepresented in graduate school (Native American, Hispanic or African American)?
Are you a sophomore, junior or senior undergraduate students and a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States?
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, you are eligible!
How Would McNair Benefit Me?
Here are just some of the benefits:
- Mentorship: Students are paired with a faculty member from their discipline for the duration of the program.
- Relationship Building: Scholars and their Mentors work together on research and on students individual graduate school goals.
- Stipend: Students in the program are paid a $2,800 stipend.
- Researching: Students in the program are guided in the methods of gathering information and preparing for graduate level research in the Scholar's major.
- Testing: McNair Scholars take a GRE prep course to get them ready to take the test.
I Have More Questions
Are you a McNair Alumni?
Keep us up to date with your information, fill-out our Alumni Questionnaire.
The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program at the University of Wisconsin - Superior is a TRiO program funded by the U.S. Department of Education and UW-Superior.