Getting a Wisconsin ID/Driver License

Getting a Wisconsin State ID Card or Driver License

     To apply for a Wisconsin State ID Card or Driver License you must go to a state Department of Motor Vehicles.  Be advised that the requirements for getting an ID/Driver License are very strict.  If you do not have the proper documents, listed below, you will not be able to apply.

Individuals can find the local DMV at:

Superior Service Center
1701 N. 4th Street 
Superior, WI 54880

The following documents are required to apply for an ID Card or Driver License:

  1. Proof of Name and Date of Birth: Valid foreign passport with I-94 card, arrival and departure record.

  2. Proof of identity (one of the following):

  • Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration (be sure it is signed before you show it to the DMV official).  If you are not eligible for a card because you are not employed, tell the official this.  They may require a letter from the Social Security Administration that says that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.

  • A valid WI or out-of-state driver license (not a Canadian driver license) or ID card with your photograph.  Note: Temporary out-of-state driving receipts are not acceptable.

  1. Proof of legal presence: Valid foreign passport with appropriate immigration documents (I-20 or DS-2019), accompanied by federal form I-94, arrival and departure record.  Note: The appropriate immigration documents determine legal presence, not the passport itself.  You will be issued a Wisconsin ID only if you have 6 months or more left on your I-20 or DS-2019.  If you have applied for OPT, please show them page three.

  2. Proof of residency in Wisconsin (one of the following):

  • Paycheck or stub with your name and Wisconsin address, and your employer's name and address.  Your employer's telephone number may be required for verification.

  • An account statement from a Wisconsin financial institution (bank).  The account statement must show activity within the last 30 days. Printouts from an online statement are not acceptable; the statement must be printed on bank stationery, and mailed to you.

  • Certified school record or transcript.

  • A utility bill for water, gas, electricity or land-line telephone service at least 30 days old.

For full details, refer to this website:

Driving with a foreign driver license

     Foreign students attending school in the U.S. who are at least 16 years old and whose privilege to operate a motor vehicle in Wisconsin is not suspended, revoked, canceled or disqualified, can drive with their home country's valid license for up to one year. After one year, they must meet the same licensing requirements as a Wisconsin resident.

In addition to having a valid foreign driver's license, visitors are advised to carry an International Driving Permit obtained in their home country.

A probationary driver license will be issued to:

  • persons under 21

  • persons with a driver license from another country who pass the required tests

  • persons who have less than three years of driving experience

Wisconsin residents OVER 18 years of ageare eligible for a probationary driver license if they fulfill the following requirements:

For full details, refer to this website: