International Freshmen Application Checklist

International Freshmen Application Checklist

The application checklist below is for students who:

  1. are not U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents,
  2. are in their final year of high school (secondary school) or have completed high school (secondary school)
  3. have never attended a college or university on a full-time basis


Submit an on-line application.

Application Fee

Pay with a credit card when applying on-line or submit an international money order, international bank draft or personal check (drawn on a North American bank) payable to UW-Superior. The application fee cannot be waived. Checks drawn on a Canadian bank must be stamped or indicated in print (not handwriting) "U.S. Dollars".

Academic Transcripts and Documentation

Submit official original transcripts or certified true copies of academic records. Transcripts should show grades for all high school (secondary school) coursework. If you are submitting transcripts before you have completed your final year of high school (secondary school), please indicate your expected graduation date and be sure to arrange to have your final transcripts sent when you are finished. Academic documents not in English should be accompanied by certified true English translations.

Transcripts should demonstrate success in university preparatory coursework in English, mathematics, natural science, social studies and appropriate electives such as communicating arts, computer science, fine arts or foreign language.

SAT or ACT Score Report

Students whose native language is English are required to submit an SAT or ACT score report directly from the College Board or ACT. The UW-Superior institutional code for the SAT is 1920, and for ACT, 4682. In some cases, this requirement will be waived for native English speaking students who are 20 years old or older.

Applicants whose native language is not English are not required to submit an SAT or ACT score. Submitting an SAT or ACT score may improve the chances for admission and financial assistance/scholarships.

Proof of English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English in one of the following ways. Depending on their test scores, students may be required to take a combination of English as a Second Language (ESL) and non-ESL courses during their first semester. See ESL at UW-Superior for additional information.

TOEFL Internet-Based Test 61

Additional Ways to Meet the English Proficiency Requirement  

Exam Name Minimum Score
TOEFL Paper-based Test 500
ACT English 18
Pearson Test of English Academic 47
STEP Eiken (Japan only) Pre-1st Grade
iTEP Academic 4.0
Cambridge English: First (FCE) B2
Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) C

Language Programs

  • English as a Second Language International (ESLI) - Successful completion of Advanced Level at an ESLI center with recommendation of the ESLI director
  • Global Language Institute (GLI) - Score 500 on the GLI TOEFL and 3 on the Test of Written English (TWE)
  • Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute (WESLI) - Earn the WESLI Recommendation, score at least 76 on the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency and earn a rating of good or excellent on the 700-level academic reading and writing courses
  • ELS Language Centers - Successful completion of Level 110 at an ELS language center. The nearest center is in St. Paul, Minnesota (2.5 hours by car
  • Harvest Institute Palisades Park - Successful completion of Level 700 at the Harvest Institute Palisades Park
  • FLS International - Successful completion of FLS International Level 16
  • Madison English as a Second Language School (MESLS) - Successful completion of MESLS Advanced Level
  • Kaplan International Colleges - Successful completion of the Advanced Level, Certificate of Achievement

Alternative Qualifications

A grade of C or higher for an English composition course passed at an accredited US college or university. The course must count as transfer credit at UW-Superior.

International Baccalaureate (IB) English A1 or A2 Higher Level passed with minimum grade 4.

A grade of C or higher on two GCE Advanced Level subjects or a grade of C or higher on GCSE English Language.

Graduation from a high school or post-secondary institution in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, or the United States for students who have studied in an all-English curriculum for at least four years. It may also be waived for students who have studied for at least four years in an all-English curriculum in any other country, but the university reserves the right to request English proficiency test results from any applicant.

For questions about the English language proficiency requirement or to apply for an exemption to the English proficiency requirement, please contact the Office of International Programs.

Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Application

More than 90% of our international students receive financial assistance/ scholarships worth $5,300-$7,200 per year. To be considered, submit a Non-Resident Tuition Waiver (NTW) Application

Financial Documentation

Submit: Financial Verification Form

Original bank letter(s) or statement(s) from the student and/or sponsor(s) indicating a current balance with sufficient funds to pay the first year of total expected costs. The name(s) on the bank document(s) must match the name(s) on the Financial Verification Form.

Additional Guidance Regarding Financial Documentation

Sponsors who live in the United States (only) must also submit a completed, signed Affidavit of Support, (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-134).

Financial documentation is required for UW-Superior to issue a Form I-20, the document needed to apply for an F-1 student visa. Per U.S. regulations, students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funding to pay for all educational and living expenses while in the U.S.

Financial documents must be in English and issued within the previous three months. Examples of bank documents which are acceptable:

  • original bank statements issued directly from the bank; 
  • loan or award letters stamped or certified by a lending institution; 
  • original bank letters signed by a bank official with the official's name and contact information indicated.

Examples of bank documents which cannot be accepted: 

  • photocopies of bank letters;
  • Internet banking statements;
  • bank letters without the name of the account holder;
  • letters which do not specify an amount at least equal to the first year of total expected expenses;
  • bank statements from businesses.

Passport Copy

Submit a paper or scanned copy of the passport identification page. Scanned copies should be submitted to


In order for applications to be processed and to allow sufficient time for the visa interview process and travel to the United States, the required documents must be on file with the UW-Superiors Office of International Programs by the following dates:

  • Fall Semester (September - December): July 1
  • Spring Semester (January - May): November 15

International students who are currently in F-1 status and in the U.S. at the time of application will be considered after the application deadline on a case-by-case basis.

Application materials should be sent to

Office of International Programs
UW-Superior; Old Main 337
Belknap and Catlin
Superior, WI 54880-4500

Estimated Processing Time

Once all of the necessary documents have been received, please allow one to three weeks for a decision.

Note Regarding Documentation

Please note you should request additional original documentation for your own records and to present to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Original documentation will be required when applying for a student visa and when entering the United States.


If you need assistance, please contact the Office of International Programs or call 715-394-8052 .