About the I-901 Sevis Fee

About the I-901 Sevis Fee

(From http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html)

New students with an I-20 form issued on or after September 1, 2004 are subject to the SEVIS I-901 fee. As of October 27, 2008, the fee is $200 in addition to all other fees associated with your visa application.  You should check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your area (www.usembassy.gov/) to get specific information about paying this fee. Keep in mind, however, that a copy of your I-901 receipt must be presented to consular or Embassy staff during your visa application interview.

Note that, although Canadians citizens are exempt from the student visa requirement, Canadian students must present proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee when seeking entry at a US port of entry for "initial" attendance at a US school.

Information can be found, and the fee can be paid, on-line at www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/.

Students who cannot pay the fee on-line may obtain a paper copy of the I-901 SEVIS fee payment form by making a request to international@uwsuper.edu.

If you chose to pay this fee by check through the mail or by courier, please read and follow the directions carefully.  Payment must be made in U.S. dollars and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is quite specific as to acceptable forms of payment.  Also, note checks are accepted subject to collection, a fact that may add days or weeks to the entire process.  Please plan accordingly and allow sufficient time for the return of your receipt.  You can choose to have the receipt mailed to you by airmail at no additional expense or sent by courier for an additional $30.

If you have access to the Internet and a credit card, it may be more convenient and much faster to pay this fee online.  If you do not have a credit card yourself, you may have someone else pay the fee online for you.  The payment website can be found at www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/. You will have an opportunity to print a copy of your receipt after paying the fee online.  Be sure you do so.

Another payment option allows Western Union to collect the SEVIS I-901 fee, in local currency, along with the needed form I-901 data and electronically transmit both the payment and student data. The properly completed Western Union receipt serves as immediate proof-of-payment for a visa interview at a U.S. Consulate and for admission at a U.S. port of entry.  This method of payment is available in any country where Western Union offers its Quick Pay™ service.  The instructions along with a completed sample of the Western Union form can be found at www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/wu_instr.htm.

Whichever method you use to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and however you gain possession of your receipt, keep this proof of payment with your passport, visa, I-20, and other important traveling papers. You may be asked to present your SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt at your port of entry into the United States.

A list of questions and answers on all aspects of SEVIS I-901 fee payment is on the web at www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq.htm.  You can also call the SEVIS I-901 Customer Service hotline at 785-330-1048 (United States Country Code 011).