UW System Administrative Policy 615 requires that anyone operating a motor vehicle while on university business be pre-authorized. This policy applies to employees, students, volunteers, or agents and covers any vehicle whether it is State/University owned, leased, rented, or personally owned.
UW System Administrative Policy 615.A explains all minimum standards to be met prior to seeking approval.
Special Note on Vans
Being approved to drive on university business does not allow you to operate a 12-15 passenger van unless you have taken a required training course and received van certification. More information on this process can be obtained from the Wisconsin Department of Administration.
Employees and Students
Employees and students requiring pre-authorization will need to complete an online Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA) with the Wisconsin Department of Administration. This process only takes a short time to complete but you will need to have the following information:
- Driver's License number
- Your supervisor's name and email address or that of the staff member requesting you be authorized
- The UDDS code for your department. You can find a list of the codes by typing UM in the box. Leave this field blank if you do not know it. You may get an error message after which you should be able to enter "No Code".
- A certified copy of your driving record if you do not have a WI license. If you do not have this to download you will get a notice informing you to provide it later. Just click "OK" and we will take care of that as we have in the past.
Please follow these steps:
- Review the user guide, pages 3-6 in particular
- Access the VUA Sign-up Portal at https://fleetportal.wi.gov
- On the left-hand side select UW and click Logon
- Next select UW Superior and click Logon
- Enter your University username and password
- Read the instructions before entering the requested information
- Students must check the Student box
- Read the Employee Agreement statements and check the boxes
- Electronically sign and date the agreement and then click the Submit button
Volunteers, Agents and Contracted Employees
Volunteers, agents and contracted employees will still need to submit a paper form to Parking Services.
- Complete this request form.
- Print the form and have your supervisor or Department Chair sign it.
- Submit the form to Parking Services. Drivers holding out of state driver's licenses must have the form notarized. Parking Services can do that for you.
- You will be notified when you have been approved.
Accessing Authorized Driver Database
We will no longer maintain a current list of authorized drivers on the university website. You can check if a person has been approved to drive on university business by logging into the VUA Sign-up Portal. Select Reports in the top banner and then Driver Summary. Enter the person’s name and it will show you the status.
Please contact Parking Services if you have any questions.