Credit for Prior Learning | Prior Learning Assessment

Credit for Prior Learning (also known as Prior Learning Assessment) offers students with significant life and work experience the chance to earn college credit by demonstrating what they have learned. 

According to the current catalog:

"It is the philosophy of this University to allow students to pursue credit by examination opportunities to broaden students' educational opportunities and accelerate their progress toward completion of degree requirements."

UW-Superior offers four ways to earn Credit for Prior Learning:

  1. CLEP and DANTES exams allow students to earn college credit through testing. These exams are offered through College Board. Check out their website for testing information, dates, and locations.
  2. Military/ACE credits processed through the Registrar's Office
  3. Challenge exams offered variously across academic departments.
  4. Preparing a portfolio of your work to be reviewed and considered for credit by an academic department. Register for the Prior Learning Portfolio course (WRIT 298 for undergraduate students and WRIT 698 for graduate students).

For more detailed information, see University policies that govern Credit for Prior Learning

Faculty member and student, credit for prior learning