GEARS Mentors FAQs
Many GEARS mentors carpool to tutoring in the community.
Enrolling in SOCI 270: Understanding and Appreciating Youth At Risk will enhance your mentoring experience by improving group communication, reinforcing new concepts, and providing a base for understanding your role as a college student, active community member, and global citizen.
- A typical week includes 4-6 hours of tutoring
- Weekend mentoring activities occur monthly, lasting 4-6 hours each
GEARS mentors earn a stipend of up to $500 per semester
- GEARS mentors are hired to be positive role models to local youth struggling to succeed in school
- Job duties include academic tutoring as well as cultural/recreational mentoring activities one weekend per month
- For more information, view our GEARS Mentor Position Description