Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


The Frequently Asked Questions below are intended as general instruction. Official policies and procedures are defined in the Undergraduate and Graduate catalogs. These publications describe the University's undergraduate and graduate academic programs, courses, academic policies and procedures. A hard copy of the General Catalog can be obtained through the University Book Store.

What are my responsibilities as a student?

  • Registration and course selection is your personal responsibility. Students earn credit only for those courses in which they are properly registered. Likewise, students must pay for every course for which they register.
  • Students are responsible for the applicable information contained in the official campus catalogs.
  • Students who do not comply with the payment deadline will have their registration cancelled assuming the student does not plan to attend. This may open full classes for students who are planning to attend.
  • New students (freshmen and transfers) are required to submit a $100 down payment before registering for the first time.

How do I register for classes?

Undergraduate Students must meet with their advisor during the advisement period prior to registering. The advisor must release the Advisor Hold before a student can enroll in classes. Students can register on, or after their scheduled registration appointment time as listed in their E-Hive.   

Graduate Students can register from the first day of early registration through the first day of class via their E-Hive. Graduate students may also mail their registration to the Graduate Studies Office, Swenson Hall 2024, P.O. Box 2000, Superior, WI 54880-4500.

For information on registering through the E-Hive, including step-by-step instructions visit theE-Hive help pagesThis link is an external link and will open in a new browser window..

What Registration Rules should I know about?

You must satisfy any holds (service Indicators) for things such as academic fees, loans owed, fines, parking tickets, etc. before you will be permitted to register. Hold are displayed in your E-Hive account

If you choose to register in person -   you will need to fill out a "Course Request Form" and bring it to Old Main room 139 for your initial registration.

Maximum Credit Load - You will not be able to register for more credits than allowed in the credit load schedule below:

  • 15 credit limit for students enrolled in remedial (courses numbered 0 to 99) courses
  • 18 credit limit for Freshmen
  • 19 credit limit for Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors with GPA <3.0
  • 20 credit limit for Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors with GPA 3.0 to 3.49
  • 22 credit limit for Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors with GPA >3.49
  • 14 credit limit for all students enrolled in Summer College
  • 14 credit limit for students on academic probation

Officially Registered - You are a registered student if you have one or more courses at the close of the registration period. As a registered student, you are responsible for payment of all fees and for grades in these courses, unless you officially drop them or withdraw from the University by the appropriate deadlines.

Course Prerequisites - Check the prerequisites of courses to see if you meet the requirements. If you register for a course and do not have the required prerequisites, you will dropped from the course. Faculty can allow you to enroll in a course without the required prerequisites by giving the student a permission number (to use in E-Hive) or by signing an add form that is brought to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Time Conflicts - If you attempt to register for overlapping courses, you will receive a message about the time conflict. If you are permitted to register for the course with the conflict, you must register through the Registrar's Office.

What if I choose not to attend after I have registered for classes?

This depends on when you make this decision not to attend...  

Before the First Day of classes: 

Online: Log into your E-Hive Account and drop all of the classes you have registered for or... In Person - Complete an official "Registration Cancellation" card available in the Registrar's Office, Main 139 and the staff will drop the classes for you 

After classes begin but prior to the tenth day of each term (shorter period for summer and J-Term classes):

It is the responsibility of the student to drop the course they are not going to attend. There is now an Administrative Drop Policy in effect; however, it is still the responsibility of the student to drop from his/her class(es). If students do not attend a course and do not drop the course, they will receive a grade of F.

Students withdrawing from all courses after classes begin must complete a "Total Withdrawal Form." 

Students may drop classes via E-Hive through the 10th day of classes.

Students can add classes via E-Hive through the 5th day of classes.

From the eleventh day of each term through the 60%day of each term: 

Beginning the 11th day of classes through the 60% day of term students who drop classes will have a W (withdrawal) listed on their transcript for each course withdrawn from.

IMPORTANT! Withdrawal from the University is not official until the completed withdrawal card is on file in the Registrar's Office.

After the 60% day of each term:

Students will be assigned the grade they have earned (usually a F grade).  

Students may submit a petition for a late drop; students must present a valid reason as to why they did not drop by the deadline date. There is no guarantee that late drop petitions will be approved.

What happens if I don't show up on the first day of classes?

Students who do not attend the first class meeting of a course, do not participate in a course related activity in an online course, or do not notify the instructor they will be absent for special reasons, will be dropped from the course.

Students should not assume that a course will be dropped automatically. It is still the students' responsibility to verify official enrollment through transcripts and class schedule.

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

A drop is the process used when you want to "quit" one or more of your courses but still remain a student. This must be done prior to the 11th day of a term. Courses dropped are NOT listed on the transcript.

A withdrawal is from the 11th to the 60% day of each term. Dropped classes are listed on the transcript with a grade of W.  

A total withdrawal is done when you want to drop all of your courses for the term. You are then no longer considered an enrolled student. This requires the student to complete and submit a total withdrawal card to the Registrar's office for processing.

Either of these actions have implications for financial aid, health insurance, athletic eligibility, etc. 

How do I find out my grades?

Grades (unofficial transcripts) are available through your E-Hive.

How do I check to see that I am still enrolled in classes?

Your study schedule is available on your E-Hive Student Center.

What are resident credits?

Resident credits are those earned in courses taught by UW-Superior instructors. They may be on-campus or on-line courses. Study abroad program in Scotland, cross-registration with UMD and CSS courses are considered resident credits as well.

Students must earn a minimum of 30 resident credits to graduate from UW-Superior.

When will I be able to see my grades for the term?

Faculty are required to submit grades by noon seven days after the last day of the course (or last day of final exams).

Student grades will start appearing on your E-Hive about 3 working days after the last exam.

How can I get official transcripts?

Your signature is ALWAYS required to release your transcript to anyone.

Complete a Transcript Request form online or in the Registrar's Office (Old Main 139) . There is an attached fee for this service. There is a range of charges for sending transcripts depending on how fast it needs to arrive at the recipient location. These prices are listed on the Transcript Request form.

What is the difference between academic probation and suspension?

Probation is a warning to you that unless you attain a minimum of a 2.00 GPA in the next term you will be suspended for at least one term. This is even true if your cumulative GPA is over a 2.0. 

The policy allows most students two terms before being suspended. So if you have one poor term, a warning is given--probation. If a second poor term results, you will be suspended.

If suspended, you cannot enroll in classes with the exception of Summer College.

Students suspended for two or more terms are required to sit-out two or more terms prior to petitioning for reinstatement.

If you believe there are extenuating circumstances related to your suspension status, you may submit a petition request to the Credits and Reinstatement Committee requesting to be immediately reinstated (and therefore not be required to sit out one term).

I am being suspended.  What are my options?

You cannot enroll in classes unless you have been reinstated. There are essentially two ways to be reinstated. 

  1. All students (including those suspended) may enroll in Summer College. If you are able to earn a 2.0 or higher GPA for just summer classes, your suspension status will be removed.
  2. You can submit a petition requesting reinstatement. If there are circumstances that prevented you from maintaining satisfactory progress, your petition may be approved. 
  3. Students are required to sit out one term for the first suspension.
  4. If you are reinstated, you are reinstated on probation and will have to achieve a minimum of a 2.00 GPA or you will be suspended again. It is important for you to analyze whether or not you are ready to come back to school. We certainly do not want to set you up for another failure by reinstating you if you are not ready.
  5. After a second, or more, suspension students are required to sit out at least one year.


I want to take a course pass-fail.  How do I do that?

Under policy, you can elect to take up to 15 credits pass-fail. There are courses that are only pass-fail and courses that you cannot take pass-fail. If the course you are choosing is available for pass-fail, you need to get the Pass-fail Agreement form available on-line or from the Registrar's Office and complete it.

I am a transfer student.  The literature course that I took does not meet the UW-S literature requirement.  Is there anything I can do?

You can meet with your advisor and discuss whether a course substitution form can be completed and sent to the Registrar's Office for processing. 

Major and minor requirements can be substituted by your advisor and the department chair of the department where the course is houses.

Further questions should be directed to the Transfer Specialist in the Registrar's Office.

I had Spanish in high school.  I took Spanish 202 here and got a B.  Can I get credit for the lower level Spanish courses?

Yes, you can through our retro-credit policy. Some disciplines build sequentially on the necessary knowledge base. In these disciplines, if you take a higher level course successfully, you may gain the credit for the lower courses. This is not an automatic process. 

If you earn a B- or higher grade in a higher level class, you will earn retro-credit for all sequential courses below this course. To have retro-credit added to your transcript, the Registrar must receive a request from the faculty member teaching the course.

For example, if you earn a B in SPAN 202, you would earn retro-credit in SPAN 101, 102 and 201.


I am planning on graduating next term.  What do I need to do?

  1. Ensure your Expected Graduation term is set to the correct term in which you plan to graduate. You view this in the Academic Area of your E-Hive.
  2. You need to very carefully go over your degree progress report with your advisor to discuss any outstanding requirements.
  3. Prior to the graduation application deadline (as listed on the Academic Calendar) for each term, you must submit your electronic graduation application via you E-Hive.  
  4. Pay the $50 fee.
  5. Purchase your cap and gown at the bookstore if you are planning on attending the Commencement ceremony. 
  6. Check the Degree Applicant list listed under the Graduation link on the Registrar' s website to ensure your name/degree/major/honors is listed correctly.

How do I change my Expected Graduation term?

  • Log into your E-Hive account. The main Academics page will appear.
  • On the Academics page will be the link for "my academics"-- click on this link.
  • Another page will appear. On this page will be the "Change Graduation term" field.
  • Find you graduation term code by clicking into the spyglass--update and save.

I graduated three weeks ago and I still do not have my diploma.  What's wrong?

It takes from 4 to 6 weeks for the Registrar's Office to post degrees. 

Students are sent an email when the degree has been posted and diplomas are then mailed to the address entered on the electronic graduation application.

Students with holds on their accounts will not have diplomas mailed until the holds are cleared. 


The grade point average on my transcript shows a 3.742.  Why didn't I receive honors?

Your honors grade point average is determined by including both resident credit work and transfer credit. The policy was changed a number of years ago so that all students are treated in a fair manner. We now include all of your undergraduate coursework rather than just the coursework at UW-Superior.

So students have a cumulative GPA listed on the official transcript; this is calculated using UW-Superior credits only.

Students have a degree GPA used for determining graduation honors; this calculated using UW-Superior PLUS transfer credits. This is posted on the transcript with the degree awarded. Students can locate the degree GPA on their degree progress/advising report.

Students have a major GPA used for determining major GPA only; this is calculated using only UW-Superior credits required for the major. This is posted on the transcript with the major earned. 

Who has access to my records?

Your records are protected under FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). You have access and you have the right to restrict what is called "directory information." (If you wish to restrict your information, it must file the form to do so by September 15 or your name, address, phone and e-mail will be published in the campus directory.)

The people who can access your records are those individuals who, by virtue of their position, have a "need to know." Your advisor has a need to know and so, he/she has access to your information, for example.

For further information, see the Registrar's website.

How do I change my major or minor?

On the Center for Academic Advising website there is an electronic form you complete.

I lost my diploma.  Can I get another?

Yes, you can order a replacement diploma by filing out the form. The fee is $25 and it takes about 1 week to process the request.

What's the difference between reciprocity and residency?

Reciprocity is only for those students from Minnesota. Basically, if you have reciprocity you pay approximately the same tuition as attending a Minnesota public university.

Residency for educational purposes is more than just where you are currently living. You have to show that you intend to be a bonafide resident of the State of Wisconsin and that you are not here just to go to school. Contact the Registrar if you feel that you should be considered a resident.  

The residency request form is located under the forms link on the Registrar's website. There are several documents required to submit with this form.

How do I change my address?

You can update your address through your E-Hive.

I just got married.  How do I get my married name on my records?

Congratulations! Name change requests have to be accompanied by some form of documentation--marriage license, driver's license, etc. The form is available in the Registrar's Office or online.

If you have a question that is not included, please e-mail the Registrar.