Citation Help and Online Writing Labs
Citation Help and Online Writing Labs
UW-Superior Writing Center
Online Writing Labs
- Purdue University's Online Writing Lab - With over 120 instructional handouts, this is one of the finest collections of writing resources on the Web. Topics covered include writing research papers, parts of speech, punctuation, sentence construction, spelling, ESL, and more.
- Writing @ CSU: The Writing Center at Colorado State University - "The Writing Center supports local and CSU writers and teachers with a wide range of resources, including interactive tutorials and demonstrations, writing guides, and extensive links to writing and teaching resources on the Internet."
- University Writing Center at Texas A&M University
- Undergraduate Writing Center at University of Texas - Handouts
Citation Help/Writing Resources
General Assistance Using Microsoft Word Products
Formatting Citations in Microsoft Word 2007 (note: citation formatting features are only available in editions of Microsoft Word 2007 and later releases)
- Using Microsoft 2007 to Create References and Bibliographies - Northern Michigan University Olson Library Tutorial
- Guide to Citing Sources in Word 2007 (PDF) - The Globe University Education Network
- Tips for Correctly formatting a research paper in Microsoft Word 2007 (PDF) - LSC - North Harris College Library
- References and Citations in Word 2007 - Florida Gulf Coast University tutorial
- Errors in Microsoft Word 2007 APA Formatting (PDF) - A few errors noted in the APA formatting function in Microsoft Word 2007, by Suzie VanHuss, desktop computing expert, instructor and author, Mississippi State University
Directions on Specific Citation Styles
- Official APA Style Format Manual Home Online - Reference to the editorial style guide and system of citations preferred by the American Psychological Association. Specific recommendations regarding citations of electronic and on-line materials.
- The Digital Object Identifier (DOI) for On-Line Sources as part of the APA style. In the Sixth Edition (July 2009) of the APA style manual, citations for sources found in electronic databases and on the internet require inclusion of a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) if one is available.
- APA DOI and URL Flowchart: flow-charted, simplified explanation for using and finding Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) for on-line source citations.
- APA Website Official DOI Blogs: how-to and step-by-step info from APA staff
- Electronic Sources and Locator Information: from the official APA Style Website, this PDF examines and explains the operation of the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) as advocated in the Sixth Edition (July 2009) of the APA Style Manual.
- What is a Digital Object Identifier, or DOI? more info from the APA Website
- APA Guides
- In-Text APA Citations in APA Style - Tips and recommendations for in-text APA citations Diana Hacker, professor and author of dozens of handbooks on writing and citation styles of all formats.
- List of References (Bibliography) in APA Style - Hacker on creating a document's list of references (bibliography).
- Using APA Format - APA formatting style guide created by OWL (Online Writing Lab) at Purdue University.
- APA Citation Guide - Ohio State University Libraries
- APA Documentation Style - From The Writer's Handbook, University of Wisconsin - Madison Writing Center.
- Sample Papers in APA Format
- Sample APA Paper (PDF) - Diana Hacker presents a sample social sciences paper in the APA citation format, with a variety of different sources represented.
- OWL Sample APA Paper - APA sample paper in APA citation format, with a variety of different sources presented by OWL (Online Writing Lab) at Purdue University.
- MLA 2009 Citation Guide (PDF) - Lone Star College-Cyfair Library guide to MLA Citation, 7th ed., prepared by Professor Monica Norem
- MLA Style: English and other Humanities - Bedford/St. Martin's "Research and Documentation Online" from Diana Hacker, Prince George's Community College in Maryland. Examples of in-text citation, list of works cited, information notes, manuscript format and a sample paper.
- Using MLA Format - Excellent detailed guide created by OWL (Online Writing Lab) at Purdue University.
- MLA: Overview - Prepared by Writing Center at Colorado State University.
- Citing Databases - Gale - Citation guides for electronic documents found online in Gale Databases like Infotrac Newspapers, Business & Company Resource Center, Literature Resource Center, and Health Reference Center.
- MLA Bibliographic Guide (PDF) - Seattle Central Community College Library
Other Citation Style Formats
- Chicago Turabian (CMS)
- Chicago Style: History - Bedford/St. Martin's "Research and Documentation Online" from Diana Hacker, Prince George's Community College. Examples of footnotes and endnotes, bibliography, model notes, manuscript format and sample pages.
- Citation Guide: Chicago/Turabian Style - Simon Fraser University Library
- Chicago Manual of Style (Turabian) - Prepared by Writing Center at Colorado State University.
- Uncle Sam - Brief Guide to Citing Government Publications - "This guide provides examples of the most common examples of government document citations. These examples are based on the Chicago/Turabian standard bibliographic style and not reference-list form."
- Introduction to Basic Legal Citation - Peter W. Martin Cornell Law School - "This citation primer is based on the Seventeenth Edition of the "Bluebook." This document links, point by point, to the disk version of this material held on LII's Folio Webserver."
- Citing Electronic Information in History Papers - Dr. Maurice Crouse, Department of History, The University of Memphis
- Council of Science Editors (CSE) Scientific Style - Prepared by Writing Center at Colorado State University
- CSE Citation Guide - Ohio State University Libraries
- CSE Number System: Sciences - Bedford/St. Martin's "Research and Documentation Online" from Diana Hacker, Prince George's Community College. Examples of number system, reference list, manuscript format and sample pages.
Online Citation Composers/Aggregators
- Endnote (available to SHSU and TAMU students only)
- Sam Houston University Student Access to Endnote
- Texas A&M Student Access to Endnote
- With Endnote, you can:
- Export journal and book records from many databases to Endnote
- Access your citations anytime, from anywhere the Internet is available
- Use "cite while you write" to insert references into Word as you write the paper with only a click or two to create citations and a bibliography in the style of your choice
- Citation Machine - David Warlick's Landmark Project includes this online composer. Uses fill-in-the-blank forms to build a MLA-style bibliography. Forms included are Web Page, Book, Article, Newspaper or Magazine and Email Message.
- UTEL: MLA-Style Bibliography Builder 1.0b - "The bibliography builder helps you to fill in a form with the information required to construct an entry for an MLA-style Works Cited list. Help is available for each item on the form."